Kinmichi saku signature?

Kasper P

Dear Group

I am trying to identify a signature on a naginata and I would like to ask if anybody in this forum have signed items with papers, having “Kinmichi saku” at least as a part of the name or know if other Kinmichi-smiths than  Iga-no-kami Kinmichi  used a “Kinmichi saku” signature.

The signature  on the naginata says “Kinmichi saku”, but this is not listed in the sources I have access to.  The naginata was until 2006 in the collection of a well known Scandinavian collector and Nihonto-expert and had paper/certificate. The paper/certificate has since then unfortunately been lost but a later owner remember that it should be from around 1600 and of high quality. That fits with 1st gen. Iga-no-kami Kinmichi,  but other Kinmichi may have  used the signature too…

I found one source telling that Shodai Iga-no-kami Kinmichi used “Kinmichi saku” (at least once). His earliest dated work is dated Tensho 9 (1581), with said signature, see page 2. ( https://www.touken.or.jp/Portals/0/pdf/english/tobi_translation/753_NBTHK_October_2019.pdf ). 

If anybody has signed items with papers (or other information about "Kinmichi saku") would I be very grateful for any information and a photo of the signature/tang for comparison.

Best wishes from Denmark

Kasper

Nag1.jpg

Nag5.jpg

Nag3.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0457.jpg

Dear Jacques

Thank you very much for your reply! I have attached the only other photos I have of the signature. I have not yet received the naginata due to Corona-reavel restrictions.

I am not so worried about the validity of the signature, as the naginata earlier was in this specific Swedish collection (Mr. Kjell Lindberg, Malmö). I knew him personally.

I hope there might be a Shinsa in Europe at some time and I could take it there to get new papers. It had papers (probably NBTHK) but the grading is not remembered and NBTHK does not re-issue papers. It has to pass a new Shinsa.

From what reference/book is the picture of the oshigata you showed?

thumbnail_IMG_0455.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0456.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0458.jpg

I am not so worried about the validity of the signature, as the naginata earlier was in this specific Swedish collection (Mr. Kjell Lindberg, Malmö). I knew him personally.

It's not a valid argument, there are some gimei in some museums, and the story of lost papers always lights a red light in my brain. 

There is no NBTHK shinsa outside of Japan.

ps sorry for that but i'm born skeptical.

No problem, I fully understand your skepticism and I would have that too, in case I did not know the previous owner etc. etc..

The present owner/seller is also well known to people I fully trust.

Never mind the paper, my hope was mainly to find out if other Kinmichi smith than Iga-no-kami Kinmichi could have made it and you helped a lot! Thank you again.

I know there is so far no NBTHK shinsa planned outside Japan, but one could always hope. I just heard it has once been discussed.

4 hours ago, Jwrussell said:

Very nice blade, Kaspar. Do you have any more pictures or info on the pole itself? Always love seeing these with an accompanying pole. The "whole package" so to speak.

Thanks. Here are the other pictures and info I have.

Nagasa                               49.5 cm, probably cut down from around 60 cm during 17. century?

Nagasa+tang                      92.2 cm

Total length                       240 cm

Nag2.thumb.jpg.bde984fe365f4f1ba5e5518f9f755251.jpgNag6.thumb.jpg.8bf14b39c2fc0a999bfed9563b94e2fa.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..