Masamune Tanto on LiveAuctioneers

22 minutes ago, Ray Singer said:

It is a zaimei Shitahara Masamune. I know the sword well, it is owned here I Miami. The description is accurate, indicating that the blade is Shitahara Masamune (not the famous mainline early Soshu Masamune). 

The plot thickens!  Looks like a lot of forging flaws to me, is that assumption correct @Ray Singer

2 hours ago, Infinite_Wisdumb said:

The plot thickens! 

I don't think there is a mystery to be solved, the description of the tanto that was written down on the page is accurate. It is tired in places, the jitetsu is worn and there is shingane showing. The seller is honest and I am sure he will send additional detail photos if requested.

• Like 3

I tend to encounter a number of tanto with shingane present. I was actually just handling this one a few ago, which is a wonderful piece for the intact Nanbokucho date (and also special for having been in the collection of our friend Arnold Frenzel). But as shown in the photos about 60%+ of the ji displays shingane. The Shitahara Masamune is about the same. 

http://www.nihontocraft.com/Bizen_Yukimitsu_Tanto.htm

• Thanks 1

What I believe is being said is a nickname indicating the respect that the smith had, such as Kiyomaro being called "Yotsuya Masamune" and Shinkai referred to as "Osaka Masamune". Frankly, I've never heard the nickname "Musashi Masamune" attached to anything other than the name of a famous blade by Soshu Masamune, so I am not sure where Robert's reference comes from. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..