Akimitsu - Unusual Date Inscription

It’s followed by the zodiac date (Mitsunoto Hitsuji) “...癸未年辰鬼宿月” and then with what I would translate as (month of the dragon ghost ?!)....

The dragon stands for the third month of the lunar calendar and “鬼宿” refers probably to the Chinese “ghost” constellation (one of the 28 mansions)...but I can be also totally wrong :doubt:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, uwe said:

third month of the lunar calendar and “鬼宿” refers probably to the Chinese “ghost” constellation

Thanks Uwe!  What a peculiar way to date a blade with the year stated twice.  I bet your thought on the last bit referring to a month is right.  I did find a reference where it could also mean "Spring."

Dragon Spring.jpg

• Like 1

Ah, thanks for sharing, Bruce :idea:

So the first seven mansions are standing for spring (East, Azure Dragon). 8-14 for winter (North, Black Tortoise), 15-21 for fall (West, White Tiger) and 22-28 are left for summer (South, Vermillion Bird).

That was new to me, as also the fact seeing it used in a nengo....

Nice find :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Kiipu said:

Do you have a picture of the obverse side of the tang and a picture of the nakago mune?

Shoot.  I don't even have that one recorded in my files!  And I don't remember where I got it.  Want to give me a link to that picture-search instruction you laid out for us earlier?  I'll see if I can find it.

Below is another post that you made about the same sword.  The post is edited for brevity.

On 4/6/2021 at 7:53 AM, Bruce Pennington said:

OK, here's a couple to throw a monkey wrench in the issue: Both provided by Tim Blackburne.

1.  Akimitsu,1943, star-stamped, "Na" on mune, イ536 on all fittings ....... But 2128 on the blade.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Kiipu said:

another post that you made about the same sword. 

Thanks Thomas!  I had mis-labeled that one.  Corrected now.

I'm afraid I don't have a shot of the mei-side.  I have all the numbered items, but for some reason don't have the mei.  I did a search on Tim Blackburne, who is @ww2shingunto, but don't see this blade in his 2 threads.

Here are the other numbered items:

20210406_192927.jpg

20210406_194040.jpg

20210406_194150.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 8/7/2021 at 11:36 AM, Bruce Pennington said:

Thanks Thomas!  I had mis-labeled that one.  Corrected now.

I'm afraid I don't have a shot of the mei-side.  I have all the numbered items, but for some reason don't have the mei.  I did a search on Tim Blackburne, who is @ww2shingunto, but don't see this blade in his 2 threads.

Here are the other numbered items:

20210406_192927.jpg

20210406_194040.jpg

20210406_194150.jpg

Hi Bruce,

May have discussed these marks before...can't rememeber, but (again?) for your files...

This one you show is a blade by

Igarashi Akimitsu, RJT star of Niigata. Date 4/1943 (2128 na) on tang, marked 'i'536 on all RS metal parts.

Mine is by

Yamagami Munetoshi RJT of Niigata. Date 8/1943 (1080 matsu) on tang, marked 'i'403 on all RS metal parts.

Both RJT, both 1943, both Niigata, both 'i' number on parts.

Regards,

• Thanks 1

Not sure if this helps but I did locate a YouTube video about this sword.  No images of the tang though.

WW2 Japanese Type 3 Shin Gunto made by Hiragawa Akimitsu, 1943

Gendaito katana

Signed, Fujisan Roku ju Hiragawa Akimitsu

Dated, Showa Jyu Hachi Nen (1943) Mizunoto Hitsujidoshi (1943) Tasu Oni Shukugetsu

Star stamp, number stamp 2128

All koshirae numbered T536

Rikugun Jumei Tosho

Hello guys.

Thank you all for your help with my sword. I am not very good with uploading images but I will try to load the signature side in this post.

Trystan, could you please explain to me how you found the date to be April 11th instead of March 23rd as first thought?

Tim Blackburne

20210812_190122.jpg

• Like 1

These are the transcribed kanji characters on Tim's sword.  As seems to be the case on early blades, the star stamp seems to indicate acceptance by the army.

Obverse: ☆ 富士山麓住平川昭光 2128 = ☆ Fuji Sanroku jū Hirakawa Akimitsu 2128.

Reverse: 昭和十八年癸未年辰鬼宿月 = 1943-04-11.

Nakago mune:  No markings.

Tang holes: 2.

Fittings: Type 100.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ww2shingunto said:

Hello guys.

Thank you all for your help with my sword. I am not very good with uploading images but I will try to load the signature side in this post.

Trystan, could you please explain to me how you found the date to be April 11th instead of March 23rd as first thought?

Tim Blackburne

20210812_190122.jpg

Tim

I use the online perpetual calendar(万年历)to search 1943 April and looking for 鬼宿 on which day. You can also check out this Cross refernce start by Thomas (Kiipu) 

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/Japanese-militaria/ae-oea-c-aeoe-e-e-aeoe-799445/#post2187969

It would be nice if you can upload some photos of the whole sword(mount, handle,blade ).Thanks

• Like 2

Thank you Sir. 

I only have a mobile phone to take photos and it can be hit and miss. This is a video of it and it shows the blade in pretty decent detail. The sarute looks rough but is made from the same brass as the rivit and I believe is shop made. Anyways, if you would like further close ups of anything let me know. This phone seems to upload to the forum much better than my old one did.

Tim Blackburne 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..