Type 98

Hi all,

I am in the market for my first Type 98 and have seen this sword online. The koshirae look good and there is a hamon on the blade. I am looking for a nice, solid example of a WWII officer's sword with Gendai blade. 

Is this a good example? 

Kind Regards,

Andrew 

Katana 1.png

Katana 2.jpg

katana 4.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Grey,

I have asked the seller for some more pics since the menuki pin appears to have been taken out of the handle (and the sword disassembled?).

Is the presence of a hamon a sign that the blade is non-factory made?

Andrew

Hello Andrew,

Proceed carefully, that koshirae has problems. It is missing the ishizuke endcap, probably missing seppas because the tsuba is clearly loose, and the saya has been painted gold (ouch!). Given the lack of activity in the hamon, it is probably an etched hamon and not a real hamon. 

I agree with Grey too that we really can't tell you more unless we see the nakago (tang).

This is the Shin Gunto you want in your collection if you are on a budget, like $500 or $600. 

Good luck!

Shin Gunto Ouch!.jpg

Hi Andrew,

No, hamons are present on Showato and WW2-era Japanese arsenal blades as well. Often they are made from Western-type steel and oil-quenched (rather than the water-quenching for actual Nihonto/Gendaito) . And in many cases the hamon is false, and was wire-brushed on at the factory for appearances. 

From the photos, I cannot quite tell about the hamon on this blade. And as Grey mentioned above, we'll need to see photos of the nakago to know more. 

The koshirae is not in the best shape. And the scabbard is missing the kabutogane (the metal cover at the bottom tip). Not too hard to find a replacment though. 

Better photos are definately needed before you commit to buy. 

Bradley,

I have just clarified my understanding of "Gendaito" and "Showato". In fact (I learned) that there are multiple methods of manufacturing Gendaito blades as follows:

image.thumb.png.d3b802b599753133429eb36f21c3db88.png

I am looking for a water-quenched blade with a proper active hamon, so I may give this one a miss. I will post a photograph of the tang if the seller decides to send me one.

Kind Regards,

Andrew

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..