Naotane Ichimonji utsushi/utsushimono

BIG

Never seen a choji midare  ICHIMONJI copy made by Naotane, but some (Japanese) sources and also NBTHK told us there are „Bizen den Ichimonji..“. Only in the NIHON SHINSHINTO SHI we learn that Naotane did not temper Ichimonji blades. Opinions welcome.

BEST

18 hours ago, BIG said:

Only in the NIHON SHINSHINTO SHI we learn that Naotane did not temper Ichimonji blades. Opinions welcome.

BEST

Sorry , but  it is written in NIHON SHINSHINTO SHI (Markus Sesko) that he never temper "O" - Choji - midare in Ichimonji Style.

I point out O-Choji .

Sometimes you see a Choji-midare with higher elements...(see the picture from the shin shinto taikan)....but this is not the O-Choji-midare from the Ichimonji school.

@BIG

For me is Markus correct with his Statement that Naotane never temper a O-Choji-midare in Ichimonji Style.........or can you show me a Naotane blade with a O-Choji-Midare Hamon ?

20210404_123344.jpg

there are many schools included in "Ichimonji school".  A fukuoka Ichimonji hamon might have wild O-chogi, but other Ichimonji groups did not.   so maybe there is something lost in the translation/description.  An Ichimonji blade can have a temper like Jacques showed in the shin-shinto taikan  but if someone is just thinking Fukuoka then that temper is not typical as they are usually more wild. Then there is always Ko-Ichimonji.

So my opinion is Naotane made swords with Ichimonji type temper, but not in the style of the wildest of the Fukuoke type.  Also the terms O-chogi, chogi-midare, can at times be a matter of someones opinion and how they use the terms. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are green paper Ichimonji with Kanzan's sayagaki which repaper as shinto Ishido, and far less often, but sometimes, one does get NTHK/NBTHK difference on those, but I don't think anyone from shinshinto has this distinction. Whatever the reason, they all were "Bizen inspired" rather than an accurate copy of Ichimonji jigane/hamon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..