Identification help please

Derek13

As far as I know my grandpa brought this back from ww2. I've just come across it looking through his barn. It's most likely been sitting there out of sight and mind for nearly 80 years. I believe it to be a mumei, as I can't find a signature or markings on the tang. It's also quite rusted since the handle was barely held together with tape. Unfortunately, I know it's in rough shape and I've been advised to leave the care to the professionals. So I'm here hoping to learn anything I can about this.

tsuba.jpg

tang2.jpg

20210402_144426.jpg

tang.jpg

20210403_060505.jpg

• Like 1

It's got age to it, and a nice shape. Kaga nakago maybe?
Post a few in focus close ups of the worst areas on the blade? Hit it with lots of oil, and wipe repeatedly. You need to neutralize the rust. Just oil...soak, wipe...repeat. Just one light wipe of the nakago to prevent any active rust. Thereafter don't treat it anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been advised to use isopropyl alcohol then mineral oil or even renaissance wax to control the rust. Would you agree?

These are the best I can do as far as closeups of the worst areas of the blade.

Do you have any advice on treating the tsuba's rust?

Thank you for your response and help!

blade3.jpg

blade2.jpg

blade4.jpg

blade.jpg

Well I can't say I expected it to possibly be that old. You're saying possibly 500 odd years old? I found it yesterday and have been trying to educate myself as fast as possible. Would you mind expanding on your thoughts or what identifies as late Muromachi period?

I think a lot of that would come off pretty easily. Maybe even some Evaporust. NOT on the tang though. May even be some dried oil or something on the blade. Try the alcohol and then oil, let's see. I like it. Nicely cut hi (groove)

27 minutes ago, Derek13 said:

Well I can't say I expected it to possibly be that old. You're saying possibly 500 odd years old? I found it yesterday and have been trying to educate myself as fast as possible. Would you mind expanding on your thoughts or what identifies as late Muromachi period?

Its hard to be absolutely certain, but there is a substantial and mostly uniform curvature - something that completely went out of fashion around 1630-1640. Kissaki is small, nakago is smallish compared to nagasa, so its more or less typical for late Muromachi. And not Momoyama Muromachi, but more along the lines of 1515-1550.

The negative is this being a period when a LOT of swords were produced, or rather unimpressive quality save for but a handful of names. Actually were it post-1560, I would have far better expectations regarding its quality.

19 minutes ago, Rivkin said:

Its hard to be absolutely certain, but there is a substantial and mostly uniform curvature - something that completely went out of fashion around 1630-1640. Kissaki is small, nakago is smallish compared to nagasa, so its more or less typical for late Muromachi. And not Momoyama Muromachi, but more along the lines of 1515-1550.

The negative is this being a period when a LOT of swords were produced, or rather unimpressive quality save for but a handful of names. Actually were it post-1560, I would have far better expectations regarding its quality.

Looks like I have some googling and research to do. Thanks for the starting point. I'm not concerned if it isn't considered quality, just happy to have found it and want to take proper care of it.

36 minutes ago, Brian said:

I think a lot of that would come off pretty easily. Maybe even some Evaporust. NOT on the tang though. May even be some dried oil or something on the blade. Try the alcohol and then oil, let's see. I like it. Nicely cut hi (groove)

I've been warned and scolded for asking about use of chemical rust removers as they are too abrasive and can devalue and ruin the blades. I'll pick up some alcohol and oil today and see where that gets me at least.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..