my satsuma blade might be older than the mounts

5 hours ago, AntiquarianCat said:

I would wager that most of the soldiers participating in the rebellion brought their family blades, or used weapons seized from the arsenals so no reason to expect them to be in terrible shape. As for Arsenal weapons like Kazu-uchi-mono, there are many that despite being by smiths known to make them, and having the signatures associated with being a bundle sword, still are polished and in good shape. Arsenal weapons can look nice. Or maybe that’s just me since I’m weird and think a lot of katate-uchi, probably even some mass produced ones look nice.

but swords are not are not polished in battle they would be scratched look at the satsuma swords for exsample all of them look like my blade they all have same finish at least the ones that have not been polished 

8 hours ago, ROKUJURO said:

Useless discussion in my eyes. 

What Jean Said.

Micah, the problem here is that it seems that you have approached this the wrong way around in that you've decided what you would like the sword to be and tried to make its characteristics fit that description. The issue is that there isn't much that can be gleaned from this blade. Even if it was in perfect condition, you might struggle to get past late muromachi to shinto mu mei wakizashi but, in this condition, there's nothing definitive that can be said and to categorize it as a "Satsuma" blade, whether made in the province or used in the rebellion, doesn't add up. Yes it may be, but it's way more likely that it got into that condition being stuffed into someone's attic and forgotten about. When you hear the sound of hooves, think horse rather than zebra.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Shugyosha said:

What Jean Said.

Micah, the problem here is that it seems that you have approached this the wrong way around in that you've decided what you would like the sword to be and tried to make its characteristics fit that description. The issue is that there isn't much that can be gleaned from this blade. Even if it was in perfect condition, you might struggle to get past late muromachi to shinto mu mei wakizashi but, in this condition, there's nothing definitive that can be said and to categorize it as a "Satsuma" blade, whether made in the province or used in the rebellion, doesn't add up. Yes it may be, but it's way more likely that it got into that condition being stuffed into someone's attic and forgotten about. When you hear the sound of hooves, think horse rather than zebra.

the mounts to match the other i have seen the blade might not but the mounts could  because the blade was added later and your right blade is in pretty bad condtion alot of higare cracks  and a blister

4 hours ago, ROKUJURO said:

Micah,

HIGARE? You mean HAGIRE? And a FUKURE? These are almost always fatal flaws!

yes but it was still used so the person who carried it did not care  i would not either like Dave said most of the blades are ones that where not good but still could be used  does not bother me im not gonna use it if it was on a nice one i still would not care i still like the blade no matter what and most fukure are on the spine and wold not effect it if it was on the edge yes but it is on the shinogi 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..