Tour thoughts on this?

JD808

I like the fittings, but that's about it.

Many years ago, I bought a really nice piece from showa22.  Since then, he's started using (I believe; this is just speculating) some kind of software to engage in shill bidding and other shenanigans to drive up his prices.  Not cool.

Sheesh i just want to start by thanking you guys for all the help. I try to do my homework and learn as fast as possible in the mean time I look for guidance here and there. And I do apologize if yall will see alot of my stupid questions but please bear with a green horn!

• Like 2

If it hasn't already been said, check out the sellers linked in the forum's dealer section. You'll find better items from trustworthy sellers without having to worry about these kinds of issues. I absolutely understand the inclination to hit up Ebay, but the reality is there are just much better places to find good Nihonto, even at the price points you seem to be looking at. Good luck!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Jwrussell said:

If it hasn't already been said, check out the sellers linked in the forum's dealer section. You'll find better items from trustworthy sellers without having to worry about these kinds of issues. I absolutely understand the inclination to hit up Ebay, but the reality is there are just much better places to find good Nihonto, even at the price points you seem to be looking at. Good luck!

Yes I agree. But until I find that perfect nihonto or shinsakuto that I wouldn't mind shelling out 4 or 5 grand ilk continue to spend peanuts for these " half ass examples" im sure I'll grow out of it Nd thanks for the advice its always appreciated 

Others have given this advise, and even though I'm a beginner, I'm going to offer it back up again!

Unless you are a very astute Japanese sword collector, and very wise in all things Japanese sword....it is best to avoid Ebay/ Buyee or Auction Houses, and just buy your swords from quality folks like the folks here on this forum.

Paying a little more for real quality and real Nihonto beats getting burned on a cheapee any day of the week!

My .02 cents worth.

Mark

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JD808 said:

Yes I agree. But until I find that perfect nihonto or shinsakuto that I wouldn't mind shelling out 4 or 5 grand ilk continue to spend peanuts for these " half ass examples" im sure I'll grow out of it Nd thanks for the advice its always appreciated 

You don’t need to shell out 4-5K even with some of the vendors I’m mentioning, just FYI. If you are willing to go anywhere between 1-3K there are blades from respectable dealers in Shirasaya (and in some jades even Koshirae!) that can be had. 

JD, excellent case in point, on this site!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jwrussell said:

You don’t need to shell out 4-5K even with some of the vendors I’m mentioning, just FYI. If you are willing to go anywhere between 1-3K there are blades from respectable dealers in Shirasaya (and in some jades even Koshirae!) that can be had. 

JD, excellent case in point, on this site!

Hey I get what yall are saying but I think yall don't get what I'm saying I do t mind paying 1000 bucks total for a decent forged  lade whether Chinese or Japanese that has enough quality Nd activity for me to enjoy until I find the sword I want at them higher prices. I know enough to know all the swords I asked about were either fakes or low quality I was asking where the they for the price. To be clear I rather have one of komonjos blades (74cm blade)in a fresh shirasaya for 1000 bucks. Then a old tired nihonto katana for more then that. And thanks for heads up on that sword but he sold it already trust me im allover nmb aoi and nihonto  us when looking for the real deal. But anyways thanks to everyone who took the time to help a noob

• Thanks 1

Understood JD! So interesting the varied ways people appreciate these objects. For me, knowing it was a fake would totally ruin any enjoyment. I’m more interested in the historic and cultural aspect than I am the metal working aspect (though certainly not uninterested! LOL). To each their own and again best of luck!

2 hours ago, Jwrussell said:

Understood JD! So interesting the varied ways people appreciate these objects. For me, knowing it was a fake would totally ruin any enjoyment. I’m more interested in the historic and cultural aspect than I am the metal working aspect (though certainly not uninterested! LOL). To each their own and again best of 

I couldn't have said it anybetter.i too care for the history and cultural aspect and thats why I'm saving for a real nihonto but a true prized piece. Right now I'm a few grand short of that so im improvising in my own weird way.

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..