Gunto Book

Droocoo

Hi there,

I am new to collecting and have an interest only in Imperial Japanese Swords of WWII vintage. I was wondering what the best books on the subject were? I have seen books by Dawson and Fuller, the former being very expensive and the latter not so much.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Andrew

Hi Andrew, welcome to the forums. At the moment those two books you mentioned are really the best we have and will give you some good reference pieces to draw on and a fair bit of information to take on. Believe it or not this section has more information on Gunto than anywhere, a  good thread to get you started with great examples of Shin Gunto:

https://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/18610-show-us-your-high-class-gunto/

Depending on where you are in OZ you may be close to one of us.

• Like 1

Hi Andrew,

If you look for a copy of Dawson's book be sure it is the later, Cyclopedia Edition, not the early paper back.  Here it is on my site:

https://www.japaneseswordbooksandtsuba.com/store/books/b510-swords-imperial-Japan-1868-–-1945-cyclopedia-edition

The best of the books by Fuller & Gregory is Japanese Military and Civil Swords and Dirks:

https://www.japaneseswordbooksandtsuba.com/store/books/b259-Japanese-military-and-civil-swords-and-dirks

Check with abebooks.com or other online book sites; you may find a copy closer to home that will cost less for post.

Cheers,  Grey

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dave R said:

Just remember that useful as it is, and it is very useful, it is now becoming a bit outdated. 

Elements of truth to that in all the reference books.  I like Ohmura's site for it's unmatched display o fcolor photos of high quality fittings and it's variety of colors and designs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Elements of truth to that in all the reference books.  I like Ohmura's site for it's unmatched display o fcolor photos of high quality fittings and it's variety of colors and designs.

I keep going back to Ohmura as well, very well worth a look, but the research keeps moving on.

At the moment a combination of the three books is essentially the best printed reference material available. Not cheap to get them all, the 1997 version of Richard & Fuller being harder to find, but you will learn to recognize quality and different types/variants quickly.

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..