Sign in to follow this  
Infinite_Wisdumb

Minute Tanto Tsuba - Shakudo and Insects

Nice little tsuba. It would look very nicely mounted on a tantō along with an appropriate set of other fittings.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bugyotsuji said:

Yes, a sweet little tsuba. We might be looking at Hagi and suzumushi, which for some reason bring up images of fall/autumn in Choshu, for me. (Play on the word 'Hagi'...?)

https://www.shuminoengei.jp/m-pc/a-page_p_detail/target_plant_code-282

It does does look like hagi doesnt it @Bugyotsuji!!

56 minutes ago, Infinite_Wisdumb said:

thanks for the kind words everyone!  I agree, it must have been impressive when mounted.  I need a First Generation Osaka Yoshimichi tanto now.......

Now that is funny. I was just holding a first generation Tamba no Kami Yoshimichi at our sword meeting about two hours ago. A really lovely object with clear early Sudareba up near the pointy end.

32 minutes ago, Bugyotsuji said:

Now that is funny. I was just holding a first generation Tamba no Kami Yoshimichi at our sword meeting about two hours ago. A really lovely object with clear early Sudareba up near the pointy end.

this seems near to torture to me :)

42 minutes ago, Bugyotsuji said:

Jesse, what is it in the Mei that looks wrong to you?

the first and second kanji do not match any of the papered smiths listed by DirkO.  Especially the second Kanji

On 3/29/2021 at 1:28 PM, Ford Hallam said:

...and of the examples Dirk posted none are alike either :laughing:

"Here's a side by side of your signature compared to the 1st 6 generations (papered authenticated examples)." ;-) was just making a case that the mei under discussion at the time was well off from any of the Kyo-Tamba generations. Which doesn't necessary mean gimei, but it doesn't help either.

• Haha 1

Well, apart from that, I still love the little tsuba. One came up at auction the other day, but the opening bid was already over my budget. :cry: