Thoughts on this Kyu

ribendao

Just came across this one that caught my eye. Really don't know what to make of it. The brass on the handle looks too bright/new. However, the habaki and the blade look very promising. The handle wrapping doesn't look like ray skin but more like snake skin? It also has the locking mechanism at the front of the handle where the index finger would rest. The metal piece at the throat of the scabbard looks weird as well. Like I said, don't know what to think about this one. What do you all think?

Rare 19th C. Japanese Cavalry or Police Officer's Sword - 13

Rare 19th C. Japanese Cavalry or Police Officer's Sword

Rare 19th C. Japanese Cavalry or Police Officer's Sword - 3
Rare 19th C. Japanese Cavalry or Police Officer's Sword - 7

• Like 1

Yeah that Habaki is really what caught my attention. What do you think about the blade? Its listed as a koto blade. It has a bohi that starts halfway on the nagako and ends halfway down the blade. It also appears to be without a Yokote.Would this indicate a cut down koto naganata or nagamaki?

23 hours ago, ribendao said:

Yeah that Habaki is really what caught my attention. What do you think about the blade? Its listed as a koto blade. It has a bohi that starts halfway on the nagako and ends halfway down the blade. It also appears to be without a Yokote.Would this indicate a cut down koto naganata or nagamaki?

Looks like a Koto blade to me, there is most certainly a Yokote though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..