Katana finally arrived

Markdd

Hi,

Well my sword finally arrived surprised how different they look in hand opposed to dealer photos imo will use there photos as I still can't get the hang of it.

nagasa 72.2cm, sori 1.9cm,base 30.1mm,yokote 20.9mm thickness ate base 7.6mm

H4912_S2682_PUP1_H.jpg

H4912_S2682_PUP1.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

Thanks ,reason I went for this one was it was love on first sight the overall sugata the uba Nakago and the kissake the rest was history so to say, supposably bt Kanefuse 5th gen ? did he not change his name the Ujifusa or am I incorrect.

What does the paperwork say?will have a look at the Habiki the 2 small knife things appear to be real silver not plated.

k_H4912_S2682.jpg

47 minutes ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Is the sun on the habaki created by leaving bare brass?  Can’t quite tell from the picture, that is the entire scene an overlay?

Bruce to my untrained eye I would say the scene is a overlay looks like silver as for the sun is there any chance its gold? it is also signed with take a photo of it.

Mark

The paper doesn't mention which generation. It only says what's on the mei "Nōshū-seki-jū Kanefusa". The vendor says 4th or 5th generation.

You mentioned two knives as part of the koshirae set... the items in the picture are actually chopsticks. 

Very nice ensemble. 

3 hours ago, SteveM said:

The paper doesn't mention which generation. It only says what's on the mei "Nōshū-seki-jū Kanefusa". The vendor says 4th or 5th generation.

You mentioned two knives as part of the koshirae set... the items in the picture are actually chopsticks. 

Very nice ensemble. 

sorry my mistake still tought they were hair pins? they are very nice and appear and feel like silver, seller states 5th generation my question did the 5th generation change his name to ujifusa ?

Not hair pins, just chopsticks - or I should say utility sticks that are generally used for eating, but were apparently also used to arrange heavily oiled hair. I don't know about the 5th generation Kanefusa. Maybe one of our other members knows. 

It's the personal signature of the maker (kaō in Japanese), which is more of a stylistic flourish than a legible character or characters. Usually the artist signs with his name, than adds the flourish underneath. Without the name part, its a bit tough to figure out. Just for clarity, its the signature of the habaki-maker, not of the swordsmith. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..