Beware Monkey's scam

46 minutes ago, Greg F said:

I've messaged him a few times over the last few years and he always plays dumb or the victim.

Today I messaged him about the ka bar and told him there's a lot of discussion in the antique weapon community about his dodgy sales and he said he knows people aren't happy with him and he's ok with it.

Low life .

I only care from the perspective that he is ruining genuine pieces of history. Otherwise, he's marked himself out as someone never to buy from whether or not it appears he is selling genuine items. 

There are several auction houses in the medal collecting world who have besmirched their names. They are relegated to selling renamed and defective medals or medals of low value. That's a poor business decision by them at the end of the day.

Kind Regards,

Andrew

Did you mention there is enough clear evidence of his actions to prove a deliberate fraud case? Because that is what it is coming to. If we can just find one of the guys who purchased a fake flag or sword that was altered, and we have enough evidence of the before and after photos, I'd gladly encourage fraud charges.

The awful part is that EVEN IF by some miracle they ban his account... he'll just make another and continue to sell under a new name. The only thing that could be done is get him in court for enough damages that he stays away. And that is probably a fever dream.

On 4/6/2021 at 1:49 AM, ChrisW said:

The awful part is that EVEN IF by some miracle they ban his account... he'll just make another and continue to sell under a new name. The only thing that could be done is get him in court for enough damages that he stays away. And that is probably a fever dream.

True, he also operates under the ebay name "worldsbestcollector" which he uses to sell his fake flag creations....horrible guy! total idiot!

PG-

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It usually goes like this with The Monkey:

Typical question in the comments section of his YouTube videos: "I have an old Japanese sword that a friend gave me years ago, can you tell me what I have?"

Monkey: "Message me, and make sure to Check out my Store. Thank you so much for watching."

But, above all, check out his STORE! Lol

I sent him a 300$ offer for his million dollar, mislabeled pruning knife and a link to http://www.japaneseswordindex.com/unji.htm explaining what it is. Mostly for some fun and to see what he would say if given a proper ID and price.

Unsurprisingly he rejected without an explanation. Not that I’m sad about it since I don’t want his compromised items no matter how cheap. I do wonder if it’s possible to contact eBay and report his fraudulent descriptions. This is his absurd listing in case if anyone hasn’t seen it.

• 1 month later...
On 4/4/2021 at 8:22 AM, Droocoo said:

I have just come across this:

"WW2 Japanese knife DAGGER DIRK collectible antique leather case navy"

Looks like a KA-Bar to me, but I am no expert. 

Andrew

fake.jpg

That's not even a real Ka-Bar. To be fair, it may have been made in Japan in the 1970s when their productivity was less regarded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/4/2021 at 5:42 PM, Jcremer24 said:

Lol. I have a KA-Bar knife myself. It was like maybe $75 or so? Cant remember what I paid for it, but it is one of my favorite knives. But $400? What a fool. Yeah, I found his videos before I even started collecting nihonto, I could tell right off the bat, that this guy didnt know what he was talking about. 

I don't know any serious collector that would recommend taking off the Tsuba on a type 95. There is noting of value to see there and the tsuba may not go back on right and you'll end up with a loose handle.  That shows how little that monkey dude knows. BTW, is this a concern for officers swords as well as well?

Rgds,

Corry

On 3/23/2021 at 3:56 PM, Bruce Pennington said:

Isn’t that nakago a bit odd for a Nagoya Type 95?

image.jpeg.834cc592302356e50b89c74558bfed37.jpeg

• Like 1

Removing the tsuka (and tsuba) of a Type 95 versus removing the tsuka (and tsuba) from other types of gunto (97's, 98's, and RS/Type 3's) is not the same. The general rule is to not remove the tsukas from Type 95's (as you have stated, as well as many others here, including Bruce) because 1. Nothing to see of any value on the nakago, and 2. May cause the tsuka to loosen and to not fit as snugly. Regarding the other types of gunto, don't be afraid to remove tsukas as needed. The nakago may provide important information as to the age of the blade, the swordsmith, the date in which the sword was made, etc. And, you may need to remove the tsuka to add seppas, replace other fittings, facilitate repair work/restoration projects, etc. And, as to what the crazy Monkey does with his swords, that's anyone's guess. He attacks just about any edged weapon he gets his hands on.

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..