"Memoir of a Gunto Dealer" - A must read!

Indeed, this was an interesting read, altho my 'cynic sensor' kind of buzzed a couple of times. I suppose that kitting out you son with a trip to a mainline department store could have happened.I suspect, tho, that the Army had ways of helping young officers. It is also worth re-reading page 138 in John Yumoto's classic where he says "On the other hand, Japanese officers could buy sound samurai swords forged 150 to 300 ago for 150 to 300 yen ($40 to $75)."

Peter

10 hours ago, Peter Bleed said:

Indeed, this was an interesting read, altho my 'cynic sensor' kind of buzzed a couple of times. I suppose that kitting out you son with a trip to a mainline department store could have happened.I suspect, tho, that the Army had ways of helping young officers. It is also worth re-reading page 138 in John Yumoto's classic where he says "On the other hand, Japanese officers could buy sound samurai swords forged 150 to 300 ago for 150 to 300 yen ($40 to $75)."

Peter

The article rewards a second reading, it was 1937, so just 4 years into the China Incident, and a special event "hosted" in the Dept. store and managed by the Osaka Sword Club. The original article also mentions the amount of money subbed' by the Army, but it was not enough to cover all necessities. Inflation was already eating into it's value.

The club had swords at 100 to 200 yen, but again money was tight, and some wanted a better blade for their beloved.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..