Saburo Akihide

I thought that posting these photos here would hit the group most interested in Gunto Smiths and that all would enjoy this O-Dachi.  It is in Kamura-Otoshi-zukuri form with a nagasa of 111.5 cm (44.9") . It is signed Hikosaburo ju-hachi sai tsukuru. (Hikosaburo made this at age 18). The Ura says (In commemoration of the triumphal return of my brother Sadayoshi from the war against China.  Before going further, we have to thank John Tirado for his unbelievable work in resurrecting the original saya and Nick Benson who according to his father did all the polish work.  I'm sure all will appreciate the work involved in working with this huge, heavy blade.  He brought out features, most of which can only be discovered with the blade in hand.  I hope to bring this blade to the Chicago show next month, if that event occurs. However, my youngest daughter is scheduled to present me with another grandson at about that time....... we'll see. 

To give a sense of scale I included another blade, a Yoshihara Kuniie, 28" + in length.

IMG_8545 (2).JPG

IMG_8552 (2).JPG

IMG_8544 (2).JPG

• Like 2
  • Wow 4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..