Recommendation for polish?

Thanks guys! I found David Hofhine online and was kind of wondering about him. The pictures of his work are impressive. I've reached out to him; if I don't hear back in a week or three, I'll try reaching out to some of these other gents. 

Ok... there are lots of posts about different polishers.  Please use the search feature to do some research so we don’t have to rehash it all again here.  The main issue is to learn the importance of using a properly trained polisher and what they can do for the proper preservation of nihonto vs. someone who can make a blade look ‘pretty’.  I make no judgment calls about anyone personally and everyone’s mileage may vary regarding this advice.  We spend a lot of time learning about nihonto... the art and history.  We should also put a huge amount of time learning about proper preservation as well. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mark S. said:

Ok... there are lots of posts about different polishers.  Please use the search feature to do some research so we don’t have to rehash it all again here.  The main issue is to learn the importance of using a properly trained polisher and what they can do for the proper preservation of nihonto vs. someone who can make a blade look ‘pretty’.  I make no judgment calls about anyone personally and everyone’s mileage may vary regarding this advice.  We spend a lot of time learning about nihonto... the art and history.  We should also put a huge amount of time learning about proper preservation as well. 

Completely agreed. I did search, and found older posts - which is why I asked because people retire, new talent emerges, etc.  

My main reason for buying nihonto is to act as a steward. Preservation is paramount to me. Since I was a youngster, I was enamored with the Japanese sword, and the engineering behind it. 

It is an honor to be responsible for genuine historical artifacts. 

The blade demands the polisher.

You do not want to send a possible juyo blade to David....gunto is fine.

Like Kenny i use Woody. But all my blades have been nothing higher than Hozon.

What do you want polished is the question. Or did i miss what your working on.

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

The blade demands the polisher.

You do not want to send a possible juyo blade to David....gunto is fine.

Like Kenny i use Woody. But all my blades have been nothing higher than Hozon.

What do you want polished is the question. Or did i miss what your working on.

It is a hozon papered wakizashi. Signature is Tanba no Kami Yoshimichi, with a kiku-mon in the mei. 

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

Has it been posted. It has papers why polish?

Because the existing polish is a bit dull, and a new polish will bring out much more activity in the hamon. There are also a few small scars that could be removed. 

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

10 4 to Ted

He or Woody could do a touch up with out major loss of steel.

Often here we see swords that really should be left as is for preservation.

Agreed. I would instruct the polisher to examine the sword first, and let me know whether they think a touch-up polish would be appropriate. The hamon is sudare-ba, and I can tell there is a lot of activity in it -- but it is rather dull and difficult to catch in the light just right. I believe the blade would benefit from polishing, but I'd leave it to someone more experienced to make the final call. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..