Polishers signature

Jim Manley

I found this interesting.  I was cleaning this blade getting ready to photograph it prior to sending it off for polish & found the original polisher had scratched in his name.  I believe it is Masa ____ & possibly Saku?  any help would be appreciated.  Of further interest to the Gendai collectors in the group:  The blade is signed Baba Akitsugu who also signed Baba Tsugukiyo.  He was an RJT Smith making mid to high grade Nihonto.  This blade was made in 1936.  I don't know the reason for the switch in names.  This blade was made as a dedication to a shrine and is inscribed as such.  Perhaps Akitsugu was the name used when not making military blades? 

Jim

IMG_8426.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The blade isn't rusty as it appears in the picture.  I used a filter to increase sharpness and the brown tinting is a side effect.  This will go off for polish shortly. I'm hoping to shoot pictures of the Saburo Akihide (45" / 114.3 cm) O-Dachi this week mentioned in a previous thread. It's a hand full and getting it positioned for photos is difficult.  However, the polish brought out the best in it and I think many of the members, particularly the Gunto collectors will appreciate it. 

Jim 

IMG_8422 (2).jpg

IMG_8427 (2).JPG

IMG_8421 (2).jpg

• Like 1

The Akihide has been the hands of at least 3 other collectors in St. Louis before I got it from Ted Kiss. I don’t know the earliest history of how it came to leave Japan but have to assume it was a GI bring back. But with a total length of almost 6 ft it would have been difficult to hide. The saya was split and the blade was out of polish when I got it. It’s an amazing piece when one considers the effort needed to heat and forge weld what was likely something over 20 kilos of steel when, Hikosaburo started. 

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..