Kyu Gunto with Nihonto blade

Kaiser21

I’m primarily an Imperial German collector but now that I’m retired, I’ve been dabbling in other areas that interest me.

About a month ago I picked up two Japanese swords through an on-line auction site. They come from the estate of a Captain who served with the British Army Royal Engineers during the campaign in Burma.

Pictured is an Army Kyu Gunto. It was badly stored and as a result the scabbard has some significant rusting on one side but the saving grace is the blade was well oiled (for the most part) and only has one area of rusting. The crappy auction site pictures only showed the rusted area next to the Habaki so I was taking a chance on the blade not being a write off.

I suspect this sword, not having the look of a stereotypical Samurai blade was relegated to storage in the basement of the condo in which this gentleman lived on the waterfront.

I was drawn to this sword by the two mekugi pegs on it on the basis of almost all the examples I found on-line had only one peg. I sensed this one was out of the ordinary.  I was greatly relieved when I got it home and pulled the blade out of the scabbard.

I managed to get the blade unmounted (without losing a finger) and it appears the tang is not signed.

I'm also curious about the lat picture which shows the pommel which has what looks like a Mon but not anything I've been able to find anywhere on the net.  Maybe it's a manufacturer's mark?

These blades are fascinating, incredible craftsmanship.

I hope you find this of interest.

Steve

DSC_1558 Re-Sized.jpg

DSC_1569 Re-Sized.jpg

DSC_1579 Re-Sized.jpg

DSC_1582 Re-Sized.jpg

DSC_1583 Re-Sized.jpg

DSC_1560 Re-Sized.jpg

DSC_1539 Re-Sized.jpg

DSC_1538 Re-Sized.jpg

DSC_1584 Re-Sized.jpg

IMG_0025 ReSized.jpg

• Like 1

I don't know if its a manufacturer's mark, or a kamon. It's the character 本 (hon, moto = origin) written in a seal-script type font. 

As a kamon its called maru-ni-hon-no-kakuji (angled character "hon" in a circle), but yours looks more like a maker's mark to me. 

Here is a link that shows the kamon

https://www.akinofont.com/shop/item_detail.php?mode=_ITEM_DETAIL&i_xid=4815

• Thanks 1

Steve:

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I'm new to this area of collecting so forgive my ignorance, but I don't understand what a "kamon" is.

The link appears to be the same as the marking on my sword alright.

4 hours ago, ChrisW said:

A kamon is basically like a family crest or clan emblem; it at a glance, tells you whom a samurai/retainer serves.

OK. Then, much the same as what I referred to as a Mon" ?

Is there a way of determining if this is a family/clan mark or a manufacturer's mark?

Thanks for replying Chris.

21 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

A “mon” is a crest.  The Toyota emblem is a mon, as is the tail emblem on JAL aircraft.  A “kamon “ is a family crest.

You can try posting it on the Help with our Mons thread.

OK. I get it now. Thanks.

I did post it on the "Help with our Mons thread" but no response as of yet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..