Question about this Wakizashi

Hi there, 

I am a new member from Poland and I have a question about my Wakizashi sword. I got it from my grandfather, who received it from his friend from Asia. It has been in my family possession for many many years. I do not want to sell it (I treat it as a family's souvenir), but I would like to know is it an authentic Wakizashi or just some reproduction? 

Please take a look at the photos and let me know what do you think about this sword.

Thank you in advance,

Piotr N

Wakizashi 1.jpg

Wakizashi 2.jpg

Wakizashi 3.jpg

Wakizashi 4.jpg

Dear Piotr.

Welcome to NMB!  At first sight your sword does look like a reproduction.  The tell tales are the shape of the kissaki, the tip, and the way the sword seems to narrow down towards the tsuka, the hilt.  It looks as if it might snap off as it is so narrow.  

At the top of the page you will find a link called 'Nihonto info', under that you will find FAQ and in there you will find some help about taking the hilt off your sword.  If you can do that and let us see pictures then we can confirm for you.

All the best.

Hi Piotr, I’m afraid I have to agree with Geraint. It doesn’t look genuine, but then again, I may be wrong. The only thing that gives me pause is the Saya. Weir for a repro.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..