Shallow sori swords

Im trying to figure out how popular 1cm or less sori swords were back in the day by the bushi? Were they more symbolic like the fukkoto type swords or did some bushi actually prefer using  swords with shallow sori? Tried googling this with not much information found .

Thanks! 

Jeremy 

Dear Jeremy.

Apart from the very early chokuto the orthodoxy is that swords with such shallow sori, assuming they are ubu,  developed during early to mid Shinto as a response to changing demands in time of relative peace and the rise of schools of swordsmanship using shinae.  In this context they re not symbolic but associated with a style of swordsmanship.  As you suggest the sugata was revived at various times subsequently, including the so called royalist swords of the Shinshinto period.  Once again this was connected to swordsmanship rather than being symbolic, the political allegiance of the domain where the style was popular leads to the connection.  

Sori alone is not a reliable guide to period as other factors in the shape of the blade are significant; kissaki, taper and so on.  I am not sure that any of this answers your question but I am sure that others will add to this.

All the best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geraint said:

Dear Jeremy.

Apart from the very early chokuto the orthodoxy is that swords with such shallow sori, assuming they are ubu,  developed during early to mid Shinto as a response to changing demands in time of relative peace and the rise of schools of swordsmanship using shinae.  In this context they re not symbolic but associated with a style of swordsmanship.  As you suggest the sugata was revived at various times subsequently, including the so called royalist swords of the Shinshinto period.  Once again this was connected to swordsmanship rather than being symbolic, the political allegiance of the domain where the style was popular leads to the connection.  

Sori alone is not a reliable guide to period as other factors in the shape of the blade are significant; kissaki, taper and so on.  I am not sure that any of this answers your question but I am sure that others will add to this.

All the best.

Thanks for your reply.  It does answer my question actually.  By shinae,  I'm assuming you meant shiai/ duel type matches ?

6 hours ago, Dave R said:

I had read that one reason for the change in shape was to aid a faster draw which was characteristic of of certain schools and techniques.

Seems counter-intuitive to me...in fact I thought the "original" wider sori was supposed to aid in a fast draw...

1 hour ago, Ooitame said:

I have examined a few cut test swords, and it appears most have a shallow sori. Has anyone else noticed a similarity on cut tests and the type with respect to sori?

Could that have more to do with the time during which cut tests were “popular” and the existing trends on Sori of the time?

• Like 1

I have to second that point. Sori is based on the purpose, style and convention of the time. A weapon used ahorse would certainly have different characteristics than one used afoot. Too in armour must blows are received as bludgeons rather than sweeping slashes. Different tools for different jobs in essence. John

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..