yahoo compton

Well, we are fortunate that there are plenty of zaimei Fukuoka Yoshifusa left, to which we can compare the mei. Here there is plenty of tang erosion, but the “fusa” is clearly way off both the early blocky version and the later more cursive version of the smith’s mei. 

I also think his hamon usually has more kinsuji and sunagashi than in this yakiba here. This one reminds more, in terms of overall impression, of a later Bizen sword, given its plentiful togari. I would say around a hundred years later, towards Oei. At least the 3 genuine Yoshifusa I have seen (held two of them) were much richer in hataraki within the hamon. 

Compton had a lot of masterpieces but his collection was vast. There were gimei in there. If you browse through the auction catalogues of his collection sale, you will see various duds, alongside the gems. This could be potentially one of those.....

A genuine one, if you are extremely lucky, will set you back more than well over ten-twelve times the price that this one was bought for. This one went at the price of a mumei Yoshioka wakizashi or mumei Ishido sword. The Juyo ones I am aware of trading recently were between $150-200k, the TJ and JuBi ones at the DTI were at $300-400k. 

• Thanks 1

My thoughts are similar to Michael's.

Generally I don't feel I have enough knowledge to voice an opinion on blades, but this is one in an area where I did a lot of study before going full into tosogu.

It is always interesting to go through the Compton Collection sales Catalogs and review what sold for what price. Generally the result is consistent with how good or rare is the item.

It was a lot hitting the market at the time, and a lot of knowledgeable people in Japan, Europe, and North America raked it over with a fine tooth comb.

Last night, rather than sensibly going to bed, I went through the Compton catalogues into the early hours of the morning. 

I could not find that specific sword but was not overly thorough. Found lots of big names across the three catalogues and some with high prices that went for big sums. But many of the big names had modest evaluations probably because of the lack of recent papers and only sayagaki present. 

By the way, does anyone have the auction results for all three days of the Compton sale in 1992? I discovered that I only had one of the days. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, 16k said:

Still, Compton or not, Gimei or not, I wouldn’t mind owning a sword like that

JP, why don’t we just go all-in for a papered top example like that https://yuhindo.com/shimazu-ichimonji-katana/? Better to save some funds and acquire something which people have vetted and is understood to be the real thing, as opposed to a vapour of hope shrouded in chimerical  deceptions. 
I have heard a few times that some people would rather have one sword (a collection of one outstanding example) as opposed to numerous average or below-average examples. And if one does the maths over several years and the funds expended on multiple swords and multiple tosogu, etc , then it actually seems more achievable than at first. 

That’s what I’m doing, Michael. My next sword won’t be before a few years, though I’m pretty sure I can’t afford such a beauty without selling my house, both kidneys and forcing the kids I don’t have into prostitution! :)

Still, I’ll be getting a nice one in the far future, although to be honest, I don’t give a damn about papers. They’re just good if you want to resell. Besides, since TH and Juyo will forever be out of my reach, a simple Hozon will do.

• Like 1

JP, a Hozon paper is often all some older / top collectors in Japan bother with. It has served its purpose to verify what the owner thinks and beside that, if the owner is confident and experienced, the attitude could be: “why bother / I know what I have and I know it is outstanding.” 

To be honest, oftentimes it is vanity and ego which motivate us, sometimes it is a monetary imperative.  

There is another aspect: sometimes Japanese collectors are secretive and do not wish others to know what they have. And since the NBTHK publishes the names of the submitters, and in the past - of the owners, this could become uncomfortable to some people. So they prefer their treasure to be “secret”, unpublished in the Juyo/ TJ Zufu. 

Some years ago, I decided to have few but decent blades. That necessitated culling my already modest collection of 4-5 items to 1 only, before building it up to the current 3. It all depends on what collectors want and like. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Gakusee said:

To be honest, oftentimes it is vanity and ego which motivate us, sometimes it is a monetary imperative.  

Some years ago, I decided to have few but decent blades. That necessitated culling my already modest collection of 4-5 items to 1 only, before building it up to the current 3. It all depends on what collectors want and like. 

I think vanity really is a motivation here. I mean, who can be honest and not be happy to say: " hey, this sword is 700 years old and was made by @#%&=$ and was in the hands of 2#$&43$” ?"

Better for the ego than a mumei John Doe sword made during Genroku, eh? :)

That's why I don’t put much interest in papers, that and, let’s be honest, they are more expensive. Still, I believe a beautiful, mumei sword by John Doe, even suriage, is still a beautiful sword. So that sword above may not be what it claims to be,, it is still a very nice sword.

As for the other part of the quote, I’m finishing paying for some books and the armor I’m buying then plan to put 500 euros in the bank every month until I have enough to get what I want (my dream? Bizen Ichimonji, but that will probably be never possible to achieve). As for selling swords? No way. Those are part of my history. When I take them in my hand, from the most humble one to the most prestigious, it reminds me of the day I got them. That memory is more precious than any sword. :)

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..