Humble Shin Gunto Collection

Kaz S

NMB for your viewing pleasure I present my Shin Gunto collection. All the blades except for the Mantetsu in the middle are coated with Renaissance Wax. Any suggestions on what type/model I should be looking for next? Any suggestions for displaying the saya better? I'm rather limited by space.

Swords.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

From what I've heard, as long as you're not using Ren Wax on traditional nihonto, its fine! Since Ren Wax is microcrystalline material, I imagine it has the potential to scratch the fine finish on traditional nihonto.

Also, nice collection!

Maybe expand your board and include a Kai Gunto so you’ve also got Navy involved.

it really depends on whether or not you’re happy with a representative from each area or you could go deeper into a specific one such as the NCO”s for example. 

Also I believe the Japanese way of displaying them is with the handles at the left. More of a peace time non aggressive thing, as it makes it harder for you to grab one out and start Slicing away!

Nice collection.

• Like 4

Excellent representation of Japanese war gunto, Kaz!

I'm with Stegel - the kaigunto are gorgeous and part of the war history.

I'd also add a Kyugunto, single-handed or double-handed (they were made pre-WWII but carried by some all the way to 1945); and a copper-handled NCO.  If you want to go further, make sure you have both sizes of the Type 32, Ko & Otsu.

If you're crafty when you get your kaigunto, make sure to get one with the leather covered saya, so you have a good representation of that.

NOW the biggest, most important question of the day ................. Do I already have photos of your Mantetsu nakago, both sides, and the full serial number on the back edge?!?!?!?

2 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

NOW the biggest, most important question of the day ................. Do I already have photos of your Mantetsu nakago, both sides, and the full serial number on the back edge?!?!?!?

I believe you do.

2 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

On the display, I'd put white cloth under each of the blades.  It's a respect thing, and it will prevent metal-to-metal scratches and electro-driven rusting.

Would that not cause the cloth to absorb the anti-corrosion agent off the blade? The Choji oil in the case of the Mantetsu or the Ren Wax?

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Kaz S said:

Would that not cause the cloth to absorb the anti-corrosion agent off the blade? The Choji oil in the case of the Mantetsu or the Ren Wax?

I'm not familiar with the Ren Wax, so I can't comment on that, but as to the oil, it's only supposed to be applied quite thinly.  Most care and cleaning sites say to even go over the blade after oiling with a dry cloth, removing standing oil.  The oil is only coating the steel on an almost microscopic level.  But with your display, whatever is absorbed by the cloth will still right there, against the steel of the blade!

When you see museum displays and fancy store displays, the blades are always on white cloth.  Now, mine, on the other hand, are all in their saya and standing upright in my gun cabinet, so it's a personal choice that only you can make.

Hello Bruce,

I have used renaissance wax for years but only on exterior surfaces...excellent stuff....Blades get oiled with any excess removed before putting in the scabbard...I think any blade coated with any type of wax  runs a big risk of  trapping dirt particles and potentially scratch the blade.....I only have one “art sword “ in polish  and that gets choji only ....full nihonto treatment for that one...! 

Regards,

Paul...

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

An original Japanese army flag would look good behind the swords.

I agree that would look pretty cool. However I'm conflicted about displaying political artifacts. This is purely a subjective distinction, but I display the weapons of the period because I appreciate the craftsmanship and history but displaying war flags I feel is... uncomfortable. 

1 minute ago, m4l700 said:

Nice collection! I would suggest displaying them with the tsuka to the left :)

22 hours ago, Stegel said:

Maybe expand your board and include a Kai Gunto so you’ve also got Navy involved.

it really depends on whether or not you’re happy with a representative from each area or you could go deeper into a specific one such as the NCO”s for example. 

Also I believe the Japanese way of displaying them is with the handles at the left. More of a peace time non aggressive thing, as it makes it harder for you to grab one out and start Slicing away!

Nice collection.

Thank you! I will reverse all their positions so the tsuka is on the left and make sure they don't get damaged by the hooks

• Thanks 1

Hi Kaz 

Nice collection.  Agree with Bruce and Chris re buffer for blades to 'avoid metal on metal' . I've always had a soft spot for late war NCO's and yours are nice but what catches my eye is the 3rd from the top shin gunto with bohi and maybe pierced tsuba....any story there?

Rob

2 hours ago, robinalexander said:

3rd from the top

Dang, Rob, good eye!  That looks like a Type 95 blade with officer tsuba/tsuka!

Kaz, have you brought that one to the group for discussion?  At first glance, it could be one of the 95 blades bought by an officer in the sword shortage and fitted out with officer koshirae.  But after a closer look, I can see the bohi was cut more closely to the mune than a 95 bohi.  I'll pipe down and wait to hear about it from you!

55 minutes ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Kaz, have you brought that one to the group for discussion?  At first glance, it could be one of the 95 blades bought by an officer in the sword shortage and fitted out with officer koshirae.  But after a closer look, I can see the bohi was cut more closely to the mune than a 95 bohi.  I'll pipe down and wait to hear about it from you!

Looks like 造兵刀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Indeed yes I have posted that one before!

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an updated picture! I flipped the horizontal orientation of everything, wrapped all the metal hooks in teflon tape, added a tassel to a Type 98, removed a Type 95 wood handle from the display and added a "Type 3"!

Hope you all like it.

20210326_214255~2.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 2

• 7 months later...

From top down:

Type 32 - two examples displayed *I don't collect these currently and I am not well-educated on these, so I may be wrong here.

Rinji-Seishiki (also known as/formerly called: "Type 3" or "Type 44")

Zoheito? or Type 98 koshirae with a Type 95 blade?

Type 98 (credited to Mantetsu in the post)

Type 95, 2nd version, 1st variation (top latch)

Type 95, 3rd version "Pineapple sword"

I'm new to the hobby, as well. More knowledgeable board members can correct me and add more accurate information. 

The top-most is a Type 19 Dress/Parade Kyu Gunto if we want to be super technical!

Below is a kyu-gunto with a traditionally-made blade, a Nobuyoshi. And fret not, this picture was taken long ago, before I knew better than to let it lay on an unprotected floor. (the floor was just freshly waxed though).

Kyu1.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..