Mumei Owari Seki. Kiriotoshi attested by (in?)nagasaka.

Karusk

Looks like 寛政三年 (Kansei 3), which would be 1791. Would love to see the paper. I can't make out what is being cut off. 

Tester's name is Nagasaka Katsuhide. He doesn't appear in Guido's list. I found another example of his work online.

Dropping it here for archive purposes. It seems to eventually link to an auction site. I have some questions about the translation done here, but the important thing for this thread is the cutting test name. 

This is a Japanese sword in full honzukuri mountings. The blade is signed"Oshu Aizu ju Kanetomo 奥州会津住兼友" Cutting test dated"Temei Yo-nen Yami Shogatsu Juku-nichi(Midnight 19th Jan. 1784) 天明四年闇正月十九日, Tsugu Wakima(cutted throgh under the chest) 次脇間" Kansei Gan-nen Gogatsu Kokonoka 9th May 1789) 寛政元年五月九日, Wakige Ryotabi Dotan-barai(cutted off under the chest) 脇毛両度土壇払, Nagasaka Zoshy Katsuhide rei kore(cutting tester) 長坂造酒勝英例之" shinogi-zukuri with bohi engravings shape. Edo period ca1780 era made blade.

https://vatican.com/2/Swords/

• Thanks 1

It was sold to me as kneck(thubei?) cut off kiriotoshi. I have all my papers vacum sealed and put away ill have to get it out. Any thoughts on the age of the blade itself? I was assuming it was much older than the kiriotoshi. I cannot find the exact year of the flood that destroyed the owari seki school/province just that it happened. Trying to find that exact listing (that site always sends you to the list and not the actual item)

Thank you for your time and input. 

Neck is kubi (首) which doesn't appear on your blade. But the vocabulary of the cutting tests is specialized, so it wouldn't be something as obvious as that, I don't think. Anyway, it should appear on your hozon paper.  I can't tell anything about the date of the sword other than its not tremendously old. The photos are too dark. I have the impression that the sword could be from anywhere between the 1400s and 1600s. I don't know about the Seki floods. 

• Thanks 1

切り落とし

No idea what that kanji points to. One reading of it is わきき (wakiki), which sounds suspiciously close to "wakike". Wakike is a cut across the upper chest, but it describes a location of a cut, rather than a part that is to be cut off. I'd be keen to hear any other explanations. 

Anyway, this is a digression from discussion of when the sword was made. Edo period, mid-1600s is my guess.   

• Thanks 1

I dont think its large enough to have gone through someone’s shoulders. Theres apparently four different calligraphy’s so i bet thats an issue for is at some point. 
Hopefully one of these guys will set is straight. 

I appreciate the input and interest. 

Can you tell what the back of the paper says?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..