Thoughts on restoration of nihonto fittings

Hello everyone; 

I recently purchased my first nihonto wakizashi. The blade was made in 1751 - 1764. It has old and new NBTHK papers (latest from 2019). The seller pointed out some things which he saw as potential "problems" with the koshirae, and pointed out that they are probably not original to the blade. Nonetheless, the blade was in excellent condition and exactly the sort of thing I wanted, so I bought it. My budget for this was such that I was prepared to buy a blade in shirasaya and have newly produced koshirae made anyhow, so I didn't mind. 

But I thought I'd join up here to learn more and ask around about this. There is a deerskin wrap on the handle, but rather than samegawa underneath there is a patterned cloth glued down. The cloth has gold threads running through it. I don't know if this could have been produced in the late 1700s or early 1800s. Maybe it could. I know certain brocade cloths from the period can be very elaborate.  Also, the seppa and hHabaki appear to have been gold plated. It is very thin, and appears to be gold washed. The exposed copper has a dark patina, leading me to believe this was not electroplated recently and is gold wash. There is a copper washed band around the saya as well with some of the underlying metal exposed. Was gold and copper washing common in the mid 1700s to 1800s?

The saya and tsuka fit well, so there is that. 

Pictures big enough to capture the small details are too big to upload altogether, so I'm just posting a pic of the cloth on the tsuka. 

Basically, I guess it comes down to .. if the koshirae COULD have been original, I'll leave things alone and have new koshirae made. If the cloth or gold washing are giveaways, then I'll save a few bucks and work them over myself. Thoughts?

20210313_113129.jpg

46 minutes ago, 16k said:

More photos would be necessary, but somehow, I don’t think what you’re describing to be original.

My thinking runs the same way. 

Failing good argumentation to the contrary, I think I'll re-wrap the tsuka with samegawa panels & silk ito. I think I can chemically strip the gold from the fittings, and would then patina the copper. 

Hi Michael,

You admit to being new to Nihonto, which is good.  You would be very smart if you strongly resisted every urge to fix this sword yourself.  Until you know a whole lot more than you currently do you should leave the sword alone; well meaning amateurs can make a terrible mess.

Best,  Grey

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Grey Doffin said:

Hi Michael,

You admit to being new to Nihonto, which is good.  You would be very smart if you strongly resisted every urge to fix this sword yourself.  Until you know a whole lot more than you currently do you should leave the sword alone; well meaning amateurs can make a terrible mess.

Best,  Grey

While I certainly understand where you're coming from, and have no urge to attempt to polish this blade for example, I am not new to tsukamaki. I am confident that I can get samegawa on there and re-wrap it properly, and tighter than it is. I've done it many times before, with replica modern-made swords. 

The question is, could the cloth be original? If so, I won't rewrap, loose Ito or not. I'll just have new koshirae made for display and call it a day. That was my plan if I purchased something in shirasaya anyhow. 

Edited by mgraffam
typo

Hi Michael, my opinion (for whatever it's worth...) is that this is not original and is not a Japanese wrap.  I base this opinion on several factors, including that the fabric is too clean....  I have seen many authentic fabric wrapped tsuka, but anything older than 20 years or so would always show dust and dirt in the crevasses.  Your's is too pristine.  In addition, the ito and menuki placement look like a recent Western job.  The rest of the tosogu is "put together" and not a harmonious whole.  As you said in one of your earlier posts, I think those aspects are a "dead giveaway", and therefore, if it were mine, I'd redo it to appear more authentic...

32 minutes ago, Tanto54 said:

Hi Michael, my opinion (for whatever it's worth...) is that this is not original and is not a Japanese wrap.  I base this opinion on several factors, including that the fabric is too clean....  I have seen many authentic fabric wrapped tsuka, but anything older than 20 years or so would always show dust and dirt in the crevasses.  Your's is too pristine.  In addition, the ito and menuki placement look like a recent Western job.  The rest of the tosogu is "put together" and not a harmonious whole.  As you said in one of your earlier posts, I think those aspects are a "dead giveaway", and therefore, if it were mine, I'd redo it to appear more authentic...

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. The dragon menuki are definitely out of place; both in theme, and literal placement. The fuchi-kashira just seems to be random scroll-work.  Perhaps fortuitously, I found very similar, though not exact, ones on a site; I'm considering picking them up to use as a matched set if/when I pick up another blade. On the other hand, I'm not crazy about them and may pick up a nicer set; along with a tsuba that appeals to me more. Still thinking on that.  I did find a very nice piece of tiger samegawa to use if I decide to re-wrap. 

Although, in regards to dirt/dust -- there was plenty when I got it; but I went over it with Q-tips and a toothbrush lightly to clean it all up. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..