Flower picture on saya

I read the MEI on the left KOGATANA as MINO KANEMOTO, but don't take that too serious! :)

Right KOGATANA might be MIHARA KANEMASA, but that is only a vague guess.  

I like that iron KOGAI very much!

The KOIGUCHI of the SAYA does not look old, although it seems to suffer from inexpierenced use; good traditional SAYA are differently made. Of course this one could have been made from an older one with the help of the metal fittings.

In the end, you will have to show your sword to an expert for an in-hand inspection.  

• Like 1

Brian & Jean, thanks for comments. When my (our) research has been completed, I will have to decide which one of the kozuka suits the saya best. BTW, it looked very strange to me that the saya has two pockets for kozuka/kogai, one opoosite the other, but the one pocket is "blind"!

Jean, I think what you said about this saya (that it could have been made from an older one with the help of the metal fittings), is spot-on. Johan

I think what I would like to show you all here near the end of this thread's running is some pics of the sword's habaki. Once again the question pops up: could this be period, or is it recent? To my inexperienced eyes it looks to be of very high quality, but it also looks to be in pristine condition. Please tell me what you make of it. Could this habaki have withstood the ravages of time since Enpo? Johan 

Jan,

that is a nice HABAKI, but I don't think it is old (= older than 100 years). Please remember that HABAKI have to be adjusted or newly made after a polish! So it would be rare to see an old blade with a HABAKI of the same age. This applies as well to TSUKA and SAYA. Even TSUBA were often replaced following changes in taste or court orders.

SAYA can have two pockets for KOGATANA and KOGAI; it is not so rare. If one pocket is 'blind', it may support my idea that an existing modern SAYA was adapted to your blade and fitted with (rather unusual) metal fittings of very recent manufacture. This goes also for the TSUKA.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..