An Old Ken

Jon MB

I am pretty sure this is Japanese and pretty sure it is in terrible condition.  This one might be best left as is; far too much of it would have to be sacrificed in a polish.  If it were mine I would be tempted to enjoy it for what it is, as is.

Grey

• Like 2

Dear Jon.

I agree that it's Japanese and that it was an awesome piece of metalwork.  However I suggest that it is a late Shinshinto revivalist piece that has had a very hard 100 years or so.  I have seen similar nakago somewhere but the reference escapes me at the moment.  I'll work on it!

All the best.

Dear John.

Found the reference after a bit of head scratching.  Christie's, June '95.  The lot numbering is a bit hay wire for these lots but it is lot294.  Signed Masamune and dated 1329.  They describe the habaki as, ".. carved with clouds and integral to the blade", which I presume means they couldn't get it off.

The listing goes on to say, "Pseudo archaic blades were not uncommon in the Meiji period......made by smiths such as Miyamoto Kanenori and Hayama Enshin among others."

1047264669_scan0016(2).thumb.jpg.dcdcf412a7a46704846d1eca33ca0bf5.jpg

All the best.

• Like 1

Yes, very interesting. Thank you Geraint.

So is the piece I have shown an imitator or the imitated then...

The Christie's example is appears directly related conceptually, with the habaki and the nakago clearly being of very similar forms.

I don't know enough of the evolution of Ken over time to evaluate further.

Dear John.

I think you can safely say that both are from the same stable and time.  Yours would have been quite spectacular when made and, I think is still a stunning display piece.  I would expect it to have the mei of  famous smith to add to its value though it is a shame at this remove that we cannot credit the craftsman who really made it.  It might have come with a set of carved wooden mounts, either archaic or in the form of a dragon.  Here is another example though nothing like as splendid as yours.

Ken3.thumb.JPG.2e63355677a8c27548932505021851f0.JPG

All the best.

• Like 1

Thank you Geraint, much appreciated. Grey has already suggested that he thinks this piece is better left as is. In the long run I would have been been tempted to try have it polished, but it would be tough with the deep pitting and intricate horimono. 

Looking on all the scars i would say this is the original sword from shoki. And he had slayed many demons with it.

Beautifull display piece John. I'm sure everyone who visited you will hear some stories about this sword. I love it.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..