A question about a new blade

shan

Hi,

I got this with the Koshirae i have asked about in another post and i just wanted some feedback on periods or schools.

If i had to guess i would say it was O suriage because the Nakago steel is quite "fresh" looking and has aged like blade steel i think.The hada (if its visable in such old polish) is aged looking though.

Just some pointers at period would do if reluctant to commit based on the awful images.

the boshi is different on both sides.

This is the second of my final 3 questions.

many thanks

shan

post-1000-14196755121436_thumb.jpg

post-1000-14196755122333_thumb.jpg

post-1000-14196755123558_thumb.jpg

post-1000-14196755124827_thumb.jpg

post-1000-14196755126453_thumb.jpg

Shan,

I dont think it is suriage. My guess based on shape and hamon is that this is a Koto Mino wakizashi that someone did an aggressive nakago cleaning on at some point. At first blush I was thinking Shin-shinto but again the shape and the fact that it seems excessively tired or polished down for that recent vintage. Just my guess on what you confess are marginalimages. Hope my .02 was useful, if most probably incorrect :D .

Doug

• 4 months later...

I have some better images of this bladedo wanted to update this thread,rather than start a new one.

Sill looking for some sort of Kantei on this blade really.

I had this reply from one person "I had a look at your tanto and mounting. I had an

impression that the tanto (it keeps the original shape) was made by a

smith related to the Hosho school of Yamato Province in the late 16th

Century but not belongs to the main school."

What are your thoughts anyone?

I can supply very large images if you give an email address by PM.

thanks

shan

post-1000-14196760432561_thumb.jpg

post-1000-14196760433928_thumb.jpg

post-1000-14196760434648_thumb.jpg

Hi Sabastian,

A description for you.

Its a shallow Iori Mune and 33.4cm long nagasa Wakizashi/Sunnobi Tanto.

Hada is a pure masame being very pronounced and distinct & that follows the hamon line making the turn at the yokote into the kissaki in a line along the curve and it runs out into the mune.Blade has tate-wari.

Hamon i thought was either a Ko Midare based on suguba or a suguba Hotsure ending with yakisume at the boshi and in nie-deki.

There appears uchinoke along the edge of the hamon as well as nijuba and kuchigai.The nie line is wide and there is coarse nie mixed in.

Rest is indistinct.

The Nakago is Ha agari Kuri Jiri & yasurime are Kesho one side and Katte Agari/Higaki the other.

Mekugi ana is Punched not drilled.

Its this strange finish to the nakago that made me think it was O suriage.There is no real form to the Yasureme.

I hope this helps.

Any opinions on this would be very much appreciated.

shan

post-1000-14196760437492_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Hada is a pure masame being very pronounced and distinct & that follows the hamon line making the turn at the yokote into the kissaki in a line along the curve and it runs out into the mune. (...)

The Nakago is Ha agari Kuri Jiri & yasurime are Kesho one side and Katte Agari/Higaki the other.

Its this strange finish to the nakago that made me think it was O suriage.There is no real form to the Yasureme.

For nakago jiri I would said Iriyama gata instead of Ha agari Kuri Jiri . Different Yasurime are strange, but a suriage blade should be kiri yasurime. Moreover the blade is hira zukuri, not common for long blade !

With nagasa about 33 cm : Nambokucho or Momoyama ?

Yamato den an specialy Hosho school was famous for pure masame.

Yakitsume boshi is also used in Yamato.

Maybe Hosho, maybe Tegai ?

Sorry I don't know.

sebastien

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..