Dating on Japanese scroll - I've given up

sabiji

Usually this is my "favorite sport". But this time I gave up.
Maybe someone has more experience ...
I cannot assign the first two Kanji to any Nengo I know. Then comes the 9th (year), then Kinoe Inu, then the Kanji for year, then?, Month ??
Thank you in advance!

Date.jpg

The dating may have something to do with the Chinese zodiac system (which you seem to have recognized?).  Sorry, I have no idea how it works or how to read it, but for example the 5th character down could be one of the 12 Signs: INU / Dog (which you mention) or one of the 10 Stems: Tsuchinoye??????  Beyond that, I'm going to have to let some very experienced people answer.  I apologize if I am just reiterating what you already know.

Hi Mark, yes Kinoe Inu in the 9th year of the era ??.
The dating can't be that old, and most of the younger Nengo are less than 9 years. And if it does, the kanji don't match. It doesn't make sense to me.

Hi Thomas. Long time, no see!

The date reads:

昭龢九甲戌年霜月上浣

Shōwa kyū kinoe-inudoshi shimotsuki jōkan

"First third of the eleventh month of Shōwa nine (1934), year of the dog."

The nengō is written with a very uncommon variant of the WA (和) character (see below).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Hi Markus,
yes, it was a long time ago indeed. I hope to see you sometime, somewhere again.
I am all the more pleased about your help. I had already flirted with the Kanji "Sho", but I just couldn't explain Kanji 2 anymore.
Does this unusual "wa" mean the same as the "simple form"?
Thank you very much, Markus!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..