What is this hamon activity called?

I am familiar with uchinoke (打除け), the short crescent 🌙 moons over the hamon. What if those little crescent moons are below the nioi line, suspended in the hamon? Would that be yō (葉) or possibly abu no me (虻の目).

IMG_20210308_210918672.jpg

IMG_20210308_210914273~3.jpg

IMG_20210308_210918672~2.jpg

24 minutes ago, Lingonberry said:

Looks like sunagashi and/or kinsuji to me.

https://tsuba.info/glossary/sunagashi/

Sunagashi is apparent on this blade as well, but that is found higher in the hamon and in the ji. "Raked sand"

I could accept kinsuji since there seems to be a black line cutting through the nioi line separating the line into separate pieces.

Dear Dan.

How about sunagashi crossing the tani of the gunome?  In this case they continue the linearity of the sunagashi and do not resemble crescent moons.  As with all things in this area exact terminology does not survive first contact with an actual hamon unless it is a textbook example of a smith's work.  

All the best

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ken-Hawaii said:

I still think they're called uchinoke, Dan, & I like the blade. Other possibility is nie kuzure (Nagayama pg 100).

Ken,

I believe uchinoke appear above the hamon, above the nie line as a crescent moon island of nie. My blade has these same little islands of nie, not necessarily crecent shaped, within the hamon.

It is possible the the nie in the valley (tani) of the hamon became very wide, and was intersected by kinsuji (darker in appearance) causing the island like appearance. Just a guess.

Needless to say, I'm fascinated by this blade. MANY THANKS to Mr. Grey Doffin for selling this beautiful blade to me. I look forward to more purchases from him in the future.

For me, those are kinsuji. However, don’t expect a firm answer because I seem to remember a not so old thread where everybody seemed to have different definitions for activities. But clearly, in my book, those are kinsuji 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..