Water wheel tsuba

TomMcRei

Tony,

as a craftsman, I am used to look at traces of tools which are not visible in the photos. The lines are not sharp, the SAKURA flower does not look as if it was filed to shape, the water wheel seems to lack file traces in the SUKASHI (all 'angles' are round), and as Stephen remarked, the water droplets on the waves seem to be 'cast in', not set in with brass or gold (?). Some of these effects can be influenced by corrosion, so my observations are just what I see from the photos.

These are just a few hints, but if you want an expert's opinion, you should ask Ford Hallam.  

• Like 1

This is a tricky one and those eBay pics do not tell everything and might be misleading. 

I see what seem to be casting bubbles in the sukashi walls. The iron looks brittle in the last picture. Must be seen in hand and scrutinised for traces of tools (chisels), evidence of folding or for tell-tale signs of casting.

Photographs can be misleading but from what I can see I agree with Jean in that the sukashi isn’t very well defined and, as he said, would look sharper if sawn or filed.

There are a couple of other parts that arouse my suspicions also: in the penultimate photo the edge of the sukashi part is off line at the top which doesn’t seem right and there’s a rough edge in the hitsu ana. As this would rub against a soft metal kozuka, I would have thought that it would have been dealt with if intended for use. 

Hello Tony, Here is one similar I have and posted here for comments in about (Nov) December 2019.

Opinions varied and I have no criticism of any of the propositions as it just shows how difficult it is to try and work out dates and backgrounds for some of these things.

But I did very much like Bruno (Kurikata's) post above.

Roger j

Waterwheel.JPG

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..