Netflix documentary - Age of the Samurai

Netflix have just released a new documentary called Age of the samurai. Participants are several experts and historians.

Age of Samurai: Battle For Japan is a six-part Netflix docuseries that deploys reenactments and historian interviews to tell the story of the country’s bloody 16th century, a time of familial power struggles and epic battles between provincial warlords.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt10551256/

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, 16k said:

There is a thread for it in the izakaya. Opinions seem to be mixed. Still, I wish I could watch it.

I wonder if that thread is not searchable or the search tool needs to be adjusted.

I searched after the name before I posed.

I like it, as a way to get the general population more interested in the subject and the fact that they have a lot of SME.

• 2 years later...

Just started watching it.  I like it so far, but 8 minutes into the first episode, I'm tired of hearing the "SCHWINGGGG" every time a blade comes out of a saya, even a tanto that a guy slowly pulled out of a saya to commit seppuku.   I mean,,,,these guys took HOURS researching to make this documentary.  Did not one of them have the occasion to pull a sword from it's saya?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree Bruce. I like it (watched it 3 times so far) but it does seem to be produced and edited to attract viewers and what some producers and editors think might captivate an audience is actually quite distracting to some of us. I also try to take the history aspect with a little bit of a grain of salt too. At least until I’ve read other sources. 

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

I'm tired of hearing the "SCHWINGGGG" every time a blade comes out of a saya, even a tanto that a guy slowly pulled out of a saya to commit seppuku.   I mean,,,,these guys took HOURS researching to make this documentary.  Did not one of them have the occasion to pull a sword from it's saya?

Glad to hear I am not the only one who was saying "WTF, it doesn't make that sound!" I guess the sound was added for dramatic flair.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Finished episode 3 and still enjoying it.  Yes, every now and then, they'll make an acknowledgement that what they are saying is based on thin information.  Still, it is putting some humanness to the history.

For some reason editing special effects have been doing this since I was a kid. Don't know where it came from.  

• Like 2

Ever notice that birds of prey of different species in movies tend to scream like red tailed hawks?  The vultures circling Conan while crucified on the Tree of Wo (Conan the Barbarian ca. 1982) even sounded like red tailed hawks. Producers like the sound of red tailed hawks and they think that’s what the audience wants to hear. Reality is much different. Vultures hiss for the most part. 

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..