Project teppo

Peter Bleed

So, I celebrated getting my vaccination by doing a bit of scouting yesterday. No Sendai shinto, but I came home with a teppo that I decided might be a worthy project for me or somebody else. It is a plane-jane gun that is in fair condition - save for the fact that it is missing a couple of key parts. It needs Hibasami, - Ama-ooi, and a hibuta. My recollection is that all of these parts used to be available from Dixie Gun Works. I have not pulled the barrel. Nor have a dropped the lock plate. I think both of those activities will be achieved tomorrow. Please wish me luck.

teppo1.jpg

• Like 2

Well gee. I was candidly hoping for a bit more guidance. Are you guys jealous that I am old enough to get vacinated?

This bad boy is acting like those Japanese puzzle boxes -himitsu bako?..

I am pretty sure that I have all of the pins out. And in fact, it is looking too me like this shooting iron is in pretty good shape.All three pins below the barrel were open to begin with - I can see thru them.... And I have tapped out all of the visible brass pins  holding in the lock, trigger guard. Everything I have moved has been dusty and tight suggesting that it hasn't been monkeyed with - that makes me wonder what happened to the Hibasama, but I'll address that issue later....

With careful tapping,the barrel has moved forward a couple of mm, but isn't giving up. It is certainly free up toward the muzzle, but the breech end is hanging tough. Is there some trick involved in freeing the barrel from the brass ring where it meets the stock?

Peter

Edited by Peter Bleed
typo

Yes, Peter, A-Shu, Fujita, is correct. Maybe I should leave you with it a little longer? You seem to be doing fine on your own! :laughing:

Check below for spoiler

Spoiler

縫 之助 Nui-no-suke

PS Notice the lighter circular spot under the pan, indicating 'Buku-naoshi' refurbishment following (years of) heavy use. 

• Like 1

If we are allowed an opinion, then may I say congratulations on finding a Mei. It's always a nice little bonus. I have not come across this smith before, but he is listed, and there were some other Fujita smiths with similar names, so he is in good company. There were about 300 gunsmiths in 阿州 during the Edo Period, so we can understand that under the Tokushima Han this was a prolific area of manufacture.

• Like 1

Piers,

Thnak you very much. I have not yet hit the "Reveal" button in part to stay uncertain and also becasue I know so little about these arms that having a "name' won;t change things for me. This adventure has been fun for me and reminds me what Japanese collecting used to be like. This gun truly was a surprise - and reasonable. It also required a bit of digging and doing that helped me see things I had not understood. I'm not done yet, but I think I have climbed most of this learning curve.

Let me add a few bits...

First, when I finally got the barrel out (boy, was it tight, I'll have to wax the stock up to get it back it), I could see that there was something in the ramrod channel. I could see nothing at the end of the channel, but in one of the spots were a pin had crossed the channel I spied a bit of  a rod. I assumed that this was - like - a mid-section of a ramrod that had gotten lost on the channel. Getting it out ( after a bit of a challenge) it looks to me like an OLD (Original??) rod that is 30.5" and apparently unbroken. The barrel is 42" long, but the rod that was in the channel appears intact and unbroken. The head end is slightly widened and darkened from use. The opposite end has a hole near the tip and there is a slight carved ring about 2" up. I have no idea how this ram rod might have functioned, but it looks like an old associated part of this arm. I assume that this assoication is worth documenting, but I am not sure how - or where - that might be done.

And thank you for telling me about the Buku-naoshi. I saw that feature, but I did not understand it.

I think I will hit the reveal button, now. Thanks again!

Peter

• Like 1

Can you take a shot of the Karuka ramrod/cleaning rod? The little hole is for inserting a twist of cleaning cloth. It should not be possible to push a rod completely inside. My guess from your description is that the end broke off, (from the hole end when ramming?) and it was then reshaped and reused, but the owner was careful not to let the ramrod get pushed inside completely.

There are options with an old Karuka.

The simplest option is to leave it jutting out to, align with end of the barrel. This looks great as a display piece. You run the risk of some helpful friend pushing it too far back inside again, and you'll always know that although original, it could never be functional again.

Option two is to fit some kind of extension to it, keeping the original ramrod intact.

Edit. Just seen your reply. No, I do not think anyone could have got that reading! Most unusual personal name for a gunsmith. :laughing:

I am feeling like I am nearing the end of this project, but just in case somebody/anybody is still interested, here is a picture of the inside of the lock. It seems basically intact, altho I have not explored many of these things. It always interests me that Japanese gunsmith used brass AND steel springs. Given the skilled of kaji, I have to wonder why they used brass...

1836838896_teppolock.thumb.jpg.51819d8f25a08ab79fb493cffdd9ae29.jpg

• Like 2

It looks like the bisen plug has been well used. (Slightly rounded)

Very happy that my encouragement helped you to separate the barrel from the stock. You have a nice signature on yours. When I opened mine for the first time, mine was partially corroded away...but still able to be seen.

i.jpg

Thank you Brian. I have posted a note in the Tanegashima section of the ramrod that came - and will go - with this gun.

What is left of this gun is pretty nice, but finding the missing parts would be a challenge for me. I' sure listen to swaps - I'd really like nice little cannon. For something like that I'd even offer up some more matchlocks....

Cash value of this piece, $500, you pay the freight and tip the gypsy.

Got to start somewhere

Peter

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..