Can anyone help give any information at all on this katana?

Fathergascan

It looks like a preservation polish so I doubt it was polished off. Anyone doing a polish like this would be doing their best to preserve the shape of the kissaki and take as little metal off as possible. 

Shobu zukuri is a desirable trait as its a rarer kissaki shape. It is also more commonly found on blades with extreme age as it was more common pre 1500 than after as the kissaki line is a technique designed to strengthen the the tip, and when they started doing it everyone followed suit. So its not necessarily a bad or good thing, just an indicator of when. It might help someone better than me make a judgment of the actual smith as well. 

I really wouldn’t recommend a polish. This blade is in good condition for its age. Its age and condition are the value points and any polish will be taking more metal off possibly reavealing carbon pockets or kizu.(openings in the outer shell) 

It has a good chance to pass judgment. The NTHK is a little more forgiving than the NBTHK from what I understand. The NBTHK judges historical significance while the NTHK judges just whether its authentic Nihonto. The JTK paper i had done before it was shipped to me from Japan was 200 bucks added to the agreed price of the blade with a option to pick another item if it failed. They also judge just based on authentic nihonto status. I think NBTHK and NTHK are 400 for the first rank application. We add that perceived value to anything that passes so its up to you if you want to get the provenance of the paper and a true expert opinion, and not just us armchair experts. I have no idea how to do this once the blade is in America, i wish i could help you there. 

A paper is just a well informed opinion, but written in Japanese all pretty.

You can consider it Koto at the very least. The paper will just be their opinion on which school. For a first blade you picked quite the looker. Maybe save money on the paper and polish and add something else to you collection. A single sword its like a a single lays potato chip. You’re absolutely going to want another one. 

Sorry about my long windedness. 

1 hour ago, Karusk said:

It looks like a preservation polish so I doubt it was polished off. Anyone doing a polish like this would be doing their best to preserve the shape of the kissaki and take as little metal off as possible. 

Shobu zukuri is a desirable trait as its a rarer kissaki shape. It is also more commonly found on blades with extreme age as it was more common pre 1500 than after as the kissaki line is a technique designed to strengthen the the tip, and when they started doing it everyone followed suit. So its not necessarily a bad or good thing, just an indicator of when. It might help someone better than me make a judgment of the actual smith as well. 

I really wouldn’t recommend a polish. This blade is in good condition for its age. Its age and condition are the value points and any polish will be taking more metal off possibly reavealing carbon pockets or kizu.(openings in the outer shell) 

It has a good chance to pass judgment. The NTHK is a little more forgiving than the NBTHK from what I understand. The NBTHK judges historical significance while the NTHK judges just whether its authentic Nihonto. The JTK paper i had done before it was shipped to me from Japan was 200 bucks added to the agreed price of the blade with a option to pick another item if it failed. They also judge just based on authentic nihonto status. I think NBTHK and NTHK are 400 for the first rank application. We add that perceived value to anything that passes so its up to you if you want to get the provenance of the paper and a true expert opinion, and not just us armchair experts. I have no idea how to do this once the blade is in America, i wish i could help you there. 

A paper is just a well informed opinion, but written in Japanese all pretty.

You can consider it Koto at the very least. The paper will just be their opinion on which school. For a first blade you picked quite the looker. Maybe save money on the paper and polish and add something else to you collection. A single sword its like a a single lays potato chip. You’re absolutely going to want another one. 

Sorry about my long windedness. 

No it's ok, I appreciate the responses and information, I definitely want to get it looked at for sure. I also want more swords yeah, but this one wasnt my first actually, if I said that I was wrong. I have 2 i got prior to this one, those are in this thread, the very first one ever is the wakizashi 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..