TANTO<WAKIZASHI<UCHIGATANA<KATANA<TACHI

roger dundas

For all you learned collectors the following question might appear naive but I am just curious about exactly how and where a Uchigatana fits into the scheme of things as far as you experienced and knowledgeable Nihonto people are concerned. It can be somewhere between a katana and wakizashi in blade length but overlapping into both apparently but does it have as much kudos as a katana or is it not as appealing or not up there for status ?

I hope some amongst you find time to offer your thoughts and don't dismiss my question as not worthy of a response.

Thank you all anyway.

Roger j.

Its less about length (though that certainly is a deciding factor) and more about WHEN. It was a predecessor to the katana and many evolved into wakizashi later in their lives. Uchigatana were mounted a certain way,  largely made to be disposable, and were the companion sword to the longer tachi.

At least, that's what I've always heard.

• Like 1

I don't think you should be too meticulous about many terms to pigeonhole them.
An Uchigatana stands for me historically seen for a companion sword/secondary sword, which is at least longer than a classical Tanto, in order to correspond to the Kanji "Uchi".
This would make our classic katana just as much an uchigatana as the wakizashi - completely independent of the quality of the blade or the rank of the wearer.

• Like 3

One can call by this name many things, but most usefully is to refer by this name "uchigatana" typically Bizen, less often Mino blades with a distinctive short nakago and nagasa very close to 2 shaku, either slightly above or below. A popular weapon in 1510-1560.

They are "long swords", but with a predominantly single handed use.

• Like 4

Thank you all for your responses. It helps me understand what is what . Was it made for use as a weapon, or was it more a decorative(?) civilian item ?

I have 3 or 4 'Uchigatana', around 22inch blades and wondered about the alternative name, Wakizashi.

Again, thank you all for your comments.

Roger j.

Thank you all again. So only one of my wakizashi swords might be(?)  called a 'Uchigatana', signed by a maker working 1542 to 1548, with 53.3cm (21 inch) blade length ?

The others with blades an inch or so longer would be termed wakizashi then, with similar shorter tangs etc, but 'mumei' and made whenever, another signed but made 1661-1675 is shorter at 52.1cm (20.5 inches).

Thank you again, I quite realize these things are somewhat elastic but thank you  all for your knowledge.

Roger j.

I hope I’m not off but Usagiya and others refer to Uchigatana as swords in that edge up katana style mounting. So that would make katanas a type of uchigatana. Katate-uchi are definitely supposed to be those ~60cm one handed swords from the Sengoku but my understanding is that not all uchigatana are katate-uchi.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2021 at 10:03 PM, Jean said:

Generally, companion sword for tachi were labelled kodachi (if not tanto) - length between 45 cm and 65cm. 

Kodachi can be considered as the wakizashi ancestor.

Do you have a reliable source, or is it just "hearsay" ? I don't see how a warrior could wear both a tachi and a kodachi knowing that both were worn edge down.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..