Tsuba Boxes

zanilu

Dear all

Recently finding good quality tsuba boxes has become increasingly difficult and expensive for whatever reason. 

So I asked a friend of mine, that is a professional carpenter, to make some prototypes using a mid range Japanese made box as a reference.
We used well seasoned poplar as base material, since poplar is a wood known for not releasing any corrosive substance.

box-10.thumb.jpg.c2a0c3739f8c4881b6ddb30e6e42f481.jpgbox-11.thumb.jpg.1d85d9a735e752317b65878b0539f630.jpgbox-12.thumb.jpg.0f1e6d07eb8df97d353102fae75a5acd.jpgbox-14.thumb.jpg.5296af363b647891e098637e0ce1a7c1.jpgbox-15.thumb.jpg.ff23c5d3f7b83c1ff109be64f16501ed.jpgbox-21.thumb.jpg.cb2b09a9df7829b317ee93c7fbc4d762.jpgbox-19.thumb.jpg.82460caef2262f2f3187e19af7a20aaf.jpg

I am quite pleased from the quality of the first prototypes shown in the previous pictures. Some small defects have to be corrected but the overall results are quite good. I was also able to make the lining myself starting from a square of poplar board provided together with the boxes.

Regards
Luca

• Like 2

More decently made boxes are always welcome. 

Quite apart from the inherent design weakness problem,  i.e. a tearaway central feature with nails protruding from it, so that you cannot carry tsuba around inside display boxes.

It's like musical chairs. There are never enough boxes, despite the huge variety out there. And cushions are even rarer. Are overall tsuba numbers still increasing, or are boxes being lost, or is it a matter of both? 

No pillows Dale, I have no sewing skill, this is the only item I miss to have a complete box.

Daisho box is possible they are made upon request, no mass production involved.

No nails either. There is only wood, silk and paper in the box. Instead of nails I use toothpicks to fix the "nakago" to the base. I did some experimenting with toothpicks they break off cleanly at the base of the "nakago" post without protruding if the "nakago" snapped off the base. I will not ship my tsuba in the display/storage box anyway.

Regards

Luca

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..