Shin Gunto Mei translation help

PNSSHOGUN

Thank you Steve, appreciate it!

KANETOSHI (兼俊), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu – “Kanetoshi” (兼俊), real name Murayama Kinokazu (村山喜之一), born August 3rd 1905, he worked as rikugun-jumei-tōshō and died February 23rd 1978, jōkō no retsu (Akihide), Second Seat at the 6th Shinsaku Nihontō Denrankai (新作日本刀展覧会, 1941)

Purely as an exercise a Murayama Kanetsugu was sold by Shouzando in June, 2008:     6月14日・・・刀「濃州関住村山兼次、軍刀拵入り」......the correct mei and in brackets has "gunto with koshirae"  .  Seems swords by him are rare and I cant find him in several Seki lists.  I could not find a picture.   This is their list of sold items:  www. shouzando.com/old.rireki.html     刀剣 象山堂 古い更新履歴 (shouzando.com)        In English they are Touken Shozando, Yokohama-shi, Kanagawa

On 2/27/2021 at 11:54 PM, Bruce Pennington said:

John,

While they work on that name, your blade is likely made in 1942.  Seki stamps showed up in 1941 and are seen through the end of the war, so the whole '41-'45 range is possible, but the lion's share of Seki stamped blades with dates are in the 1942 year group.

Chart.jpg

Oh nice! I wish I'd known what to look for with all the Shin-Gunto I've had to look at. Originally we would just say "signed" and never bothered to identify the dates, makers, and keep track of the Arsenal stamps. I can say that overall Seki and Showa are the two most common ones I have seen first hand.  Now if only I could reliably identify Kanji besides numbers, MASA, KANE, MITSU, and ISHI.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..