Kanteisho Paper Translation Practice

Mark S.

All,

So as a part of my on going learning, I try to practice translating mei and kanteisho papers when I have time.  Before we go too far, Ray Singer has a tanto in the For Sale that comes with NTHK papers (my translation attempt).  As this is a sale item, I asked his permission to post this so as to not break any rules or potentially ruin a sale.  Ray has graciously given permission for me to post this.  So... attached, please find my attempt at translating the papers.  Please feel free to correct me or add your insight... and PLEASE NOTE, there are a few ?'s I had that I could not translate or did not fully understand and if you could lend any assistance, I would appreciate it.  Also, this is a translation by a beginner... for beginners.  So please excuse my noting some things that are considered 'common knowledge' by most.

Thank you in advance,

Mark S.

Front Translation.jpg

Back Translation.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you!  I do like the hand written kanteisho.... but sometimes wish they were typed/printed just so they would be a little easier to read (for those of us who aren't Japanese) :)

It's hard enough to fight through a language you don't know, but to add in working through the handwriting makes it all the more challenging... guess that's half the fun.

I agree with John; well done. A few corrections and hints. 

1. Take a look at where you've written "gomabashi", and the kanji to which you are pointing. There is a mistake there, and it may give you a clue as to one of your question marks. 

2. I think the part after "Nakago" is referring to the number of mekugi-ana. It may be a typo in the original, or it may just be an abbreviationn that is well understood by sword afficionados. (Again, this may also give a hint at one of the question marks). 

3. "Horimono" isn't the correct reading of this compound word.  

4. "Nengo" is incorrect. 

Other than these minor errors, it looks good. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

OK Steve... thank you so much for your hints, but I have stared and hunted and for the life of me, I'm still lost.  The most embarrassing is #4... I thought that kanji was for "era" or "period", and I've seen it a bunch of times (and thought Nengo was the translation - obviously wrong).  But for the life of me, I can't find the Japanese translation or Japanese word for that kanji.  Any help on my ?'s would be appreciated because I am at a brick wall on them all.

Thanks

1. Gomabashi =護摩箸

Bōhi = 棒樋

2. 中心 壱  =After nakago is the alternative kanji for the number "1". I'm sure this refers to the number of mekugi-ana on the sword. 

3. 彫刻  =chōkoku (engraving, carving)

4. 明応頃 = Meiō-koro

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..