ShiShi dog menuki set - what are they

BjornLundin

Hi all, sorry for starting a new post. I am little bit perplexed by these shishi dogs. Can anyone give there thoughts of them. I tried to look around but found both really expensive and lesser... Goto school, very early and edo so I am a bit perplexed.  When I got the blade with the tsuka these menukis was covered with gruel, hiding all features. Been carefully trying to clean them to see more of the details.  So what do you think, cast or carved? Good, medium or bad quality, goto or not, period?  Sorry for all the pictures :P I having fun with the camera trying to catch all the angles. 

IMG_5164.jpg

IMG_5168.jpg

IMG_5174.jpg

• Like 1

Actually, I was more interested in menuki than in fuchi. Menuki was blocked by tuka-ito, and I couldn't see the back side with important information, so I was silent. At least it's patina, so it looks to me that it's probably made of an alloy that contains copper rather than gold. However, your ture-shishi looks much better than a cast mass-produced product.

The image is one of the menuki converted into a cigarette pouch, and the gold was sold for $ 385 with unknown grade. The buyer was convinced that this was Goto. If that conviction is correct, it's worth it.
The length of the mane, the distance between the legs, the expression of wrinkles on the eyebrows, the appearance of the eyeballs, the pattern of the body, etc. are all the points to distinguish the goto clan. I'm sorry it seems unfriendly. I don't seem to be useful, so compare for yourself.

https://www.jauce.com/auction/o453266515

連獅子片目貫.jpg

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..