Great Jumonji yari added on Aoi

I'm always surprised when these types of yari pass by. Normally they, as far as condition goes a lot to want for unlike this one. 

Pricewise as well, curiously they don't seem to hold much financial value these days even though they were, as is written, difficult to make and tedious to have polished.

How come there seems to be no real interest or market for these items?

https://www.aoijapan.com/jumonji-yari-chikuzen-kuni-minamoto-nobukuni-yoshinao/

Just imagine.. those things are absolutely terrifying.

merge_from_ofoct(1).jpg

• Like 1

Hi Axel,

For me they just that aren't that impressive from a size point of view. Eighteen by 12.5cm isn't a lot of spear when it comes down to it. They're a nice item when they come with a pole and saya but if I had money to spend I'd more than likely prioritise another purchase.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I also like it, Axel and do not think it is unreasonably priced. It comes with nice koshirae too. 

The thing is, polearms are underloved in Japan. They are too bulky with their poles and koshirae and there is not much “blade” in the package. Dealers in Japan have complained to me that no one wants yari and they have shown me drawers full of yari...... Of course, for the bigger names, eg Muramasa, there is always demand. 

Keep in mind, Fuuten, this is an auction item. As of this moment, it has one bid at 250,000 yen but still 6 days remaining. I would imagine that the bids will go up on the last day or two. That seems to be the trend on that, and most other auctions.

I agree with you, it is a beautiful piece.

This one seems rather small... about a month ago AOI had two other jumonji yari that were larger.  One I tried to bid on but it got out of my $ range... the other I wasn't sure about condition but it seemed ok for the price.  I waited and no one bid and I figured if it went to general sales I might purchase it... although I was wary as others must have seen something that kept them from bidding.  At the last second, someone bid on it and got it at the opening bid price.  At first I was disappointed, but I chalked it up to "not meant to be".  There will be others...

Honestly, they are interesting, but not first on my list.  I kinda consider them a 'neat to have' item.  

Dear Ray.

I have the other problem, jumonji and cover but no pole!  I have been on the look out for one for ages and finally found it, badly corroded nakago unfortunately so not yet able to decipher the mei.  Really like them.  Odd, isn't it, that tanto are highly valued because they are harder to forge and heat treat.  The skills involved in forging and treating a jumonji are amazing.  Of course the one that Axel posted is a delight.

1048157035_DSCF0510(2).thumb.JPG.c8f06cf9632f63faf0b7c2e866a3ce33.JPG

I agree with the posts above. Yari are difficult to forge and jumonji are at the top of the difficulty range. Add to that the difficulty in polishing them. Add to that that they were considered utilitarian weapons, not to be preserved and cherished likes swords but to be brutally used and abused in warfare = not that many examples in great condition or by great masters remain nowadays. 
Size does not matter really - someone above was complaining about the size. In fact, the Aoi example is quite standard sized. I recommend those interested to have a look at the Knutsen book about pole arms. 
Also, it is the complete package with koshirae. In the U.K. I have seen worse examples commanding similar prices. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Gakusee said:

Size does not matter really - someone above was complaining about the size. In fact, the Aoi example is quite standard sized.

Even against armor (and one would be aiming at the joints or where protection was light), a ~10cm thrust would be enough to disable or even kill.

Hi Geraint

i was lucky mine came with a very nice pole with nice brass / bronze mounts and the counter weight is iron and heavy and would have been just as deadly in the right hands.

i have always liked pole arms,  I have  owned   5 up until now .  as per other comments under rated IMHO.

Ray  

19 hours ago, Geraint said:

Dear Ray.

I have the other problem, jumonji and cover but no pole!  I have been on the look out for one for ages and finally found it, badly corroded nakago unfortunately so not yet able to decipher the mei.  Really like them.  Odd, isn't it, that tanto are highly valued because they are harder to forge and heat treat.  The skills involved in forging and treating a jumonji are amazing.  Of course the one that Axel posted is a delight.

1048157035_DSCF0510(2).thumb.JPG.c8f06cf9632f63faf0b7c2e866a3ce33.JPG

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..