A series of fittings ( or how not to build a collection )

Bob M.

Item No.24 - Iron sukashi tsuba  - Yagami school , Hizen - late 18th century 7.60 cm dia

Subject of three hares running with stormy waters

Signed Yagami Mitsuhiro on rear - Can anyone translate the inscription on the front ? Is it a dedication for a commissioned piece ?

Haynes Index no. H05200

IMG_1573.JPG

IMG_1574.JPG

• Like 4

Hi Bob,

On Number 24, instead of First Master of the Yagami School (Haynes Index no. H05200), your tsuba is by the Third and final Master of the Yagami School (Haynes Index no. H05202) who was a descendant of the First Master (see Haynes entry below).  The tsuba reads: Nagasaki kuni ju nin ("living in Nagasaki"); Kounshi kore [wo] horu ("Kounshi this carved"); Yagami Mitsuhiro.  He was the son, nephew or grandson (it is unclear) of the First Master.

IMG_2404.jpg

IMG_2405.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bob,

I have a tsuba signed 'Echizen no Daijo Nagatsune [horu i ko?] Sadanaka kore o horu ' .  Which I translate as 'Daijo Nagatsune carved again with' and 'Sadanaka carved this'.  In other words this is a joint work by both artists who have worked together before.  Note I am not saying the signatures are genuine.

Best regards, John

signature.jpg

Hi John , 

Re above , nice signatures on the tsuba.

I have a few pieces coming up from the collection where the principal reason for acquisition was the quality of the signature in itself, rather than the art work .

Do you know , has your piece / signatures been published anywhere ?

Regards

Item No. 25 - Iron Mokkogata tsuba  8.9cm x 8.2cm x 0.43cm .

Armillary sphere on a stand , a seven star constellation on reverse.

Signed   Joshu Nishijin ju, Umetada Tachibana Shigeyoshi , Keicho jusanen  ( Umetada Shigeyoshi ,  1608 ).

Ex. Henri Vever collection.

In a historical context - this tsuba was made in 1608 - 34 years before the death of Galileo , 34 years before the start of the English Civil War or even 12 years before the voyage of the Pilgrim Fathers.

IMG_1603.JPG

IMG_1604.JPG

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

Hi Grev , 

Glad you are enjoying the thread - lots more to come...

I started collecting fittings late 2003 , together with blades , but have concentrated more on fittings for the last 10/12 years.

Regards

• Like 1

Just a few observations on ' A series of fittings ...etc '

Having just posted item No. 25 , I wanted to mention that this is a similar quantity to what I would take and show at a Token of GB outreach meeting , and this in part is the idea of the thread.

As we have all been in various stages of lockdown ,  for probably a year or so ,  for most people , I thought that I would put my fittings on the NMB instead and give  a wider access to those who are interested.

The main difference is that the entire collection will be displayed ,  albeit one at a time , over the coming months .

Of course this may be regarded  as a ' look what I've got' vanity project ,  but that is not the intent - as I have stated in an earlier post , the good , bad, and indifferent will all be shown.

I have numbered up all fittings and then generated a random sequence of them so that , with the exception of a few favourites which I am keeping to the end , any quality or type of fitting could appear next.

No. 26 will be posted tomorrow ( Wednesday )....

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We are indeed, and it never came across as a "look what I have"
Often, no comment is needed, it is just nice to see a steady flow of nice items. Like you say...a virtual exhibition. Please keep them coming. Each one has been viewed and appreciated.
We don't always have to discuss. Sometimes we can just admire and enjoy.

• Like 6

Hi Jussi, 

I seem to remember meetings in Stockholm and Utrecht ? One of the things with these meetings is that usually there is so much to see in such a short amount of time , it is impossible to take in more than about 10% .

At least this way you can spend as much time as you want looking, ( although nothing beats having the piece in hand )  without having to move out of the way for the next person.

• Like 2

Yep, I remember Stockholm better and I know few very special items will be coming up :Drool: I agree with the time issue in live meeting, that was definately happening at Utrecht, so many things to see and people to meet and greet. I do think slow approach like this is good for us not too knowledgeable with fittings. I can take time and slowly research the item, vs. live I cannot understand all the details and background info in a short time I have viewing the item.

• Like 1

Item No. 26 -  Tsuba in Sentoku with Gold and Shakudo takazogan highlights   7.2cm x 6.9cm x 0.4cm ( 0.5cm over rim )

Subject of travellers in a ferry boat with temples in the distance , boatman and river bank on rear. 

Carved using sukidashibori and shishiabori techniques with takazogan highlights.

Signed Noda Yasunobu saku - According to Sesko Geheologies , page 22 , he appears to be the founder / head of the Uemura school in Kyoto.

Ex Clarence McKenzie Lewis Jr. collection

Ex Michael Tomkinson Collection

Ex W.C. Hope Collection

Quite heavily encrusted with dirt in places , could probably do with a light clean , but not to disturb the mature patina...

IMG_1437.JPG

IMG_1438.JPG

Item No. 27 Katana sized tsuba in brass and mixed metals inlay   7.81cm x 7.92cm x 0.44cm

Theme of waves.

NBTHK Hozon papers

I have had this tsuba for over 18 years but it was not until writing out this post that I realised I do not have a translation of the signature or papers. If anyone can help , I would appreciate it...

A scan of the papers is attached separately , as the signature itself is indistinct and is not easy to read.

The tsuba looks different today from when it was papered - I have had the Hitsu-ana plugs removed . Where a tsuba has plugs which are the first things you see when glancing at it , then unless they are part of the original design , in my view have just been added to make the fitting more saleable to the Western buyer or tourist ( who like a bit of extra flash ). If the plugs are discreet or have been incorporated into the original design , then they are part of the history of the piece and should be left in place . Not in this case  , however. Any alternative views ?

IMG_1585.JPG

IMG_1586.JPG

• Like 1