Custom Kyu Gunto or Export Sword?

ribendao

I saw this Kyu Gunto for sale on an auction. I looked through Dawson's book and couldn't find any thing that really matched. Closest thing I could think of is a custom sword. Also considering the possibility it could be a Suya export. What do you guys think?

img.axd?id=6243697883&wid=&p=&ext=&w=0&h=0&t=&lp=&c=True&wt=False&sz=Max&rt=0&checksum=yH8Jfs1SxY5x5uzmY5B%2bHqwPNmGNdEgL
img.axd?id=6243697909&wid=&p=&ext=&w=0&h=0&t=&lp=&c=True&wt=False&sz=Max&rt=0&checksum=%2fItu8C6gNlKuMST2zTZtmzKWJXrliaQt
img.axd?id=6243697927&wid=&p=&ext=&w=0&h=0&t=&lp=&c=True&wt=False&sz=Max&rt=0&checksum=%2fItu8C6gNlI53m4Vw7P0%2f2rGMV9gQ9sT
img.axd?id=6243697945&wid=&p=&ext=&w=0&h=0&t=&lp=&c=True&wt=False&sz=Max&rt=0&checksum=%2fItu8C6gNlL3P66QGJn2BYo7uSdbiwJx
img.axd?id=6243697875&wid=&p=&ext=&w=0&h=0&t=&lp=&c=True&wt=False&sz=Max&rt=0&checksum=yH8Jfs1SxY4XIAN50MALCwAZnr3MFNsQ

Yeah I think you might be right Bruce. I did notice this one seemed the closest but the floral pattern was a little different. I guess there are variations on these floral patterns just like there are on those type 19 dress swords. 

Thanks for the reply. 

The top retaining brass screw that hooks together the fuchi and the backstrap on yours seems to look more like a rivet than an actual screw as it lacks the slot on the head that all other screws I've seen have. Perhaps a replacement or a  sign its a cast piece?

• Like 1

I looked at a Kyu model backstrap in-hand that is the same in Dawsons and I can almost guarantee that this one is a modern replica that has been artificially aged up and matched with a blade (won't make a judgement call on the blade itself). The real backstrap has far greater detail than the one you're showing us and the backstrap screw is indeed a flathead screw. This one looks like a cast of a recast and almost featureless by comparison. Real ones have a lot of depth to their fittings. Even with a heavily-worn one, there would be areas where the high-detail should be visible, but instead we're left looking at a disturbingly uniform wear pattern that doesn't make sense. The seppa also look off to me on second-look as well.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..