Jump to content

Fred Lohman Store


Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, jeremy said:

I second namikawa Heibei.  Bought a few things from them in the past, and they're very responsive and great to deal with. 

 

 And they are OK with Pay Pal. It is worth remembering that a lot of the better quality "local to you" dealers buy from Namikawa and then sell on to you with a markup.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fred is not able to operate the shop right now - his son is doing his best but when I spoke to him last week he admitted he has a huge backlog of emails and orders he is trying to get thru. He promises he is going to try to respond to everyone.

-t

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Dave R said:

 

 And they are OK with Pay Pal. It is worth remembering that a lot of the better quality "local to you" dealers buy from Namikawa and then sell on to you with a markup.

Hi Dave 

From memory they don't use PayPal which is something to think about.  Unless they have changed that.  But I used my credit card to purchase from them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, jeremy said:

Hi Dave 

From memory they don't use PayPal which is something to think about.  Unless they have changed that.  But I used my credit card to purchase from them

 

 They changed that 2 years ago at least. My last two purchases from them,  Nurizaya Wood for a Wakizashi and 100g Uchiko Powder   were both paid for via Pay Pal, and  very easy transactions they were indeed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Dave R said:

 

 They changed that 2 years ago at least. My last two purchases from them,  Nurizaya Wood for a Wakizashi and 100g Uchiko Powder   were both paid for via Pay Pal, and  very easy transactions they were indeed.

Thats good to hear. Makes it easier to make transactions 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Going through some of my old reference material last night, I found a 1999 catalog from Fred Lohman and also a 2001 D.R. Langenbacker reproduction Tsuba catalog. 

Damn, I'm getting old.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

True - his son Chris has taken over the business but it is not his full time job - if you are waiting for work to be done he has many "back-orders" to get caught up on so response time may be long...

-t

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fred was quite a character. I met him for the first time in the late 80‘s while shopping at Namikawa Heibei in Tokyo, and where he was doing some business. I later gave  him a ride back to the station, and we exchanged addresses and phone numbers. Imagine my surprise when he sent me a first edition of Shinkichi Hara’s “Schwertzierraten” as a thank you a few weeks later! We occasionally met when he was in Tokyo, and I always had some interesting conversations with him (if I managed to steer him away from topics like politics and kinky sex ;-)).

 

RIP, Fred!

  • Like 5
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...