Hello from a newbie to the forum and showing a new acquisition - Rakusuiken Toseiju Tsuba.

Munetsugu

Hello all :)

Thought I'd post a few of my recent acquisitions on here as I'm sure a few will appreciate them!

This is my first proper posts outside the classified ads section so hello to everyone😁 I've been lurking on here for a while trying to learn from people's posts and the fantastic amount of information on here and have been collecting nihonto/tosogu since March last year. Finally built up what I think is a good start to my collection! 😁 

Have met some great people since getting involved in to the hobby and bought this from a good friend I've met local to me. 

Would be interested to hear if anyone has any information on the Smith or tsuba.

So far I have learnt what I believe to be correct:

19th century shibuichi tsuba, of oval form, in iroe-takazogan, inlaid in gilt and copper with Yoshitsuni on horseback playing the flute outside the house of his mistress, who sits inside playing the koto, mei signed as "Rakusuiken Toseiju"
From memory I was told this exact tsuba is supposed to be mentioned in the Haynes Index of Japanese sword fittings under this smith although I need to double check this.
This is an incredibly hard tsuba to get a good photo of, it's one of those which looks stunning in person and I just can't seem to replicate this in a photo😆

Cheers :)

IMG_20210216_194519.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Probably the young Yoshitsune (who goes by the name of Ushiwaka-maru in this story), who hears the koto being played by Jōruri-hime (princess Jōruri). He is charmed by the sound, and begins playing along with his flute. 

I have read on this forum that the numerals on the tsuba are likely museum acquisition numbers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveM said:

Probably the young Yoshitsune (who goes by the name of Ushiwaka-maru in this story), who hears the koto being played by Jōruri-hime (princess Jōruri). He is charmed by the sound, and begins playing along with his flute. 

I have read on this forum that the numerals on the tsuba are likely museum acquisition numbers. 

Thanks for the input, yes that is the one😁 and yeah I've heard that too regarding the numbers.. Funnily enough I have another nice quality tsuba with numbers stamped in to it which I believe came from a museum. 

7 minutes ago, BjornLundin said:

Why would a museum, punch in numerals on a tsuba? Doesnt make sence? 

I'm guessing to catalogue pieces and would make it a lot easier to identify if anything was stolen.. It is a shame but hey, wouldn't make any difference if it was mounted the same way you wouldn't be able to see the mei. I've got another nice tsuba with numbers stamped in to it, here's a pic.. It's a Hamano school - Masayuki

IMG_20210125_164438.jpg

• Thanks 1

I agree with Björn,  a museum defacing an art work with a permanent stamped in number? Any ideas on which museum would do that? There are numerous examples of painted on catalogue numbers, but paint can be removed. Also how did a museum piece get on the open market? [I know the Metropolitan Museum of Art sold off a large number of excellent tosogu back in March 2006, but none of their items were marked in this way]

The handle of the Japanese sword is stopped by one mekugi, so it often falls immediately after pulling out the mekugi. It is a realistic practice to engrave all parts with numbers to reassemble them. However, it is a pity that the "invasion" of works of art by different cultures is still unfortunate.
Naturally, I understand that it is simply an administrative, clerical, and past of without consideration.

s778369047.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..