Where to find a REAL kogatana?

Greetings folks,

This is my first post on this forum.  I recently acquired a Muromachi wakazashi but it is missing the kogatana.  What would be your recommendations to find a real kogatana of the same period?

Thank you in advance.

Jose

Congratulations on your new acquisition,  Jose.

My first recommendation would be to take your time, plenty of it (no rush) and maybe see lots of 小柄 'kozuka/kodzuka' illustrations on the web, in books, in museums etc., to get your eye trained up. You'll see many examples of Saya with missing Kozuka. The filled ones you see around you often took months or years to source.

• Like 1

Morning Jose,

As Piers mentioned, you need both a kotsuka and kogatana.  Don't get too hung up on these being made in the Muromachi; while your wakizashi is from that period, its koshirae is most likely newer than that.  Lots of kotsuka online to choose from; I have more than a few on my website and would be glad to help.  Mark Jones usually has kogatana for sale.  You'll find both of us in the dealers section here on NMB.

Cheers,  Grey

• Like 1

Jose

where in KY are you? I was in Louisville last weekend and could have brought all my items to show you.  Not all blades and handles fit all koshirae so sometimes the fit is  important if you need it for a particular use.

you can email me at  nixe@bright.net 

mark

• 2 weeks later...

I think the one way to find out is stick a piece of paper in, deepest point total length. I'm not entirely sure if they're simply squared out or rounded. Pretty sure they are not shaped to specific kogatana although who knows perhaps that happened at some time or another, not standard.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..