Authentic flamboyant Yasunori who became Yasukuni shrine Smith? Thoughts on sword?

waljamada

So here is a flamboyant one.

Is this an authentic Yasunori mei who became a Yasukuni shrine Smith?  Thoughts on the  sword itself?  

Below are pictures of the sword in question with a large temper/hamon, 28.5" nagasa in early type 98 mounts.  At the end is the mei of this sword and some other examples Yasunori mei examples I've found on some websites.  There is also a photo of the flaws that exist on the blade (few openings and nail catcher knick). 

SmartSelect_20210219-194708_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20210219-194720_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20210219-194618_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20210219-194622_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20210219-194631_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20210219-194637_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20210219-200357_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20210219-194727_eBay.jpg

• Like 1

I'm also hearing it may be a Chinese fake rather than at minimum an authentic Japanese blade which scares me because it hit the authentic nihonto check boxes that I know of.  I'm naturally always suspect of meis so didn't give it much weight but the blade itself appeared at least an early 1900s authentic Japanese blade in what I think is nice authentic (or is it!!??!!) type 98 koshirae.  I didn't buy the sword but almost went hard in on the bidding with the idea that it was most likely gimei to be safe. 

Sorry to ask John, but what does my eye need to be catching? 

Here's why my eye was tricked:

This blade has hada/forging/folding evidence, right looking patina for early 20th century (can of course be faked), yasurimei (could be a sign that it's the correct yasurimei  to match the gimei), age looking wear on blade, water quenched hamon (is a bit messy though), real koshirae early type 98 (from what I see and if this is fake too Im even more afraid) shape of nakago doesnt draw immediate questions to me, shape of blade looks Japanese (but a non typical early 20th century shape but also a non typical blade) well fitted (according to seller) to a gunto saya with a 28.5" nagasa which is quite uncommon and would require uncommon saya....it all can make sense as an authentic gimei nihonto...I'm afraid...=|:^(

Jumping in as the thoughts occur to me.  Any Yasunori I've ever seen (a few! And I owned one at one time) are suguha and all about 25 - 26 inches long.  Oh, and only one mekugi ana.  Longer blades may be special order, but this certainly isn't one.

BaZZa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, waljamada said:

Sorry to ask John, but what does my eye need to be catching? 

Here's why my eye was tricked:

This blade has hada/forging/folding evidence, right looking patina for early 20th century (can of course be faked), yasurimei (could be a sign that it's the correct yasurimei  to match the gimei), age looking wear on blade, water quenched hamon (is a bit messy though), real koshirae early type 98 (from what I see and if this is fake too Im even more afraid) shape of nakago doesnt draw immediate questions to me, shape of blade looks Japanese (but a non typical early 20th century shape but also a non typical blade) well fitted (according to seller) to a gunto saya with a 28.5" nagasa which is quite uncommon and would require uncommon saya....it all can make sense as an authentic gimei nihonto...I'm afraid...=|:^(

The Hamon has a very distinctive look on these Gimei swords, suspect it has to do with the steel and polishing methods. There is another sign which is dark areas in the Hamon. If you look through many of the Komonjo blades you can see exactly what I'm talking about, the Hamon just looks wrong. The other fact is these Gimei are focused on the higher end Gendaito of the period, so Yasukuni, Minatogawa, top level smiths etc etc.

Finally Yasukuni Shrine swords are generally Suguha, rarely Notare and very rarely Choji. You would not see a Hitatsura Yasukuni-To, let alone with such glaring flaws. The sword would be interesting to own for a few hundred dollars, about what the mounts and tassel are worth. 

• Like 1

John, thank you for that.  I do know what you are talking about from the Komonjo blade hamons.  They do seem to have a type and I can identify the hamon characteristics you mention in them.

Someone went the extra miles with this gimei blade over the usual "authentic Japanese" komonjo blades with "unfinished saya" :)

I also think the gimei yasunori is a real nihonto or at least I wouldn’t call it a fake just from the images. The blade I have posted is made by Ozawa shigenori and won nyusen price 2017.  Some people wouldn’t even realize the treasure in front of them  being overly suspicious :)  (Not me downvoting anything btw) 

FF188C80-585A-43AF-BEB4-7A83EBF2E35F.thumb.jpeg.381f40450f7fbf336060628f5884da96.jpeg8E124E45-CDB2-40AC-94E0-DB1FB8B607E4.thumb.jpeg.000c78e5bd5a27f60f0555e2d07947a0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I would think Chinese too if you didn't tell me it was a prize-winning Shinsakudo. Nioideki on Muji hada... 

The difference in visual quality of a modern Hitatsura sword compared by one by Akihiro/Hiromitsu/Hasebe/Yozozaemon is simply astonishing. 

Has anyone in the Shinshinto realm of gifted smiths try re-creating Hitatsura? Naotane school perhaps? It would be interesting to compare results. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Take a look in the Yasukuni book from Kishida. These swords are so rare and when you compare this pictures with the book you see that it could not be true.

Btw the swords look not very appreciating and not like yasukuni-to.

It looks someone has cleaned the blade with acid. :laughing:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..