would love some help with identifying this katana and when and where was it made

bcoleman

i recently bought this katana, its pretty beaten looking and also looks like the handle got re wrapped or something as its a bit weird looking im not to sure if its real, honestly i dont really know how old it is im guessing 1500 due to shape, but not to sure would love some help with identifying who made it and when thanks.

IMG-2345-converted-compressed.pdf

I've been back and forward over this sword for quite some time.  This certainly isn't Daimyo stuff, but has a sort of "reserved dignity" about it.  Stretching my neck out here - does anybody think the saya could conceivably be 17th century lacquer????  Possibly the original koshirae for a Shinto blade??  The tsuba looks like the lacquer and the tsuka, simple and old.  The handle binding is in an unusual style but appears undisturbed and old.  I think the blade is Shinto, but that chip is a real killer.  I would have a window put in it.   Just thinking out loud - swish???

BaZZa.

On 2/27/2021 at 3:42 AM, Ken-Hawaii said:

The chunk taken out of the ha bothers me. If it goes completely through the hamon, it's a hagire, & kills the blade. Late Muromachi, early Shinto.

its dosent go through the hamon it like 0.3 mm, so its not a dead blade

Well, that depends on if a togishi can restore the blade... such a deep chip may completely change the geometry or it may require such a large amount of the steel skin on the flat of the blade to be removed, making the blade 'tired' - where core steel is visible.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 2/27/2021 at 10:53 AM, Bazza said:

I've been back and forward over this sword for quite some time.  This certainly isn't Daimyo stuff, but has a sort of "reserved dignity" about it.  Stretching my neck out here - does anybody think the saya could conceivably be 17th century lacquer????  Possibly the original koshirae for a Shinto blade??  The tsuba looks like the lacquer and the tsuka, simple and old.  The handle binding is in an unusual style but appears undisturbed and old.  I think the blade is Shinto, but that chip is a real killer.  I would have a window put in it.   Just thinking out loud - swish???

BaZZa.

hi thanks for feedback, what is a window? never heard of it.

Its rusted and not much is seen but from what is available its in Ichimonji style and boshi appears to be sugu. That can limit it either to mid-Kamakura or shinto, probably Ishido. Kamakura you would expect substantially lesser beefy blade, and the shape is a bit of a stick with some curvature, so my very preliminary guess given the condition would be 1640s, Ishido.

Would be interesting to check if boshi is really suguha. If its not, then the options are shinshinto or some koto....

Dear Brian.

In this context a window is a small portion of the blade polished to reveal what the blade would look like if given a full polish.  The theory is you pay for a little work so that you can judge weather or not the blade deserves, and will take a full polish.  

All the best.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..