Buyer Beware

Baka Gaijin

Hamish, go easy. Malcolm is sharing what is obviously a Chinese newly made Gunto, for interest and to keep up with what the Chinese are doing as far as copies go.
Thanks Malcolm. Pays to know what is out there to beware of. Also, I doubt this was cheap...probably close to what a used Showato costs. Not sure the market for these. But in 5 years of handling and messing around...these are hat we will have to be wary of.

• Like 8

I doubt these are produced anymore, I certainly found all the sellers sites were old, and none in stock.... Though truthfully my search was far from exhaustive. As best I can find, Hanwei found them to expensive to produce.... Why is it here, easy one, "Buyer beware", given a few years wear and a bit of tweaking you can expect to see them on sale as originals.

these are far from passable, they are just too ugly and gourdy. 

could any sensable buyer be fooled, "theres this thing called the internet, to you now, too cross reference stuff" if your new or unsure

i see nothing here educational, it stands out like a sore thumb, just another non Japanese topic cluttering up the NMB

Good evening Gentlemen

Thank your for all your comments.

The title of the thread was Buyer Beware.

As an Antiques Dealer, of 35 years standing, known to have an interest in Japanese arms and armour, with a large Gallery in the City of Bath, UK. I have been offered suitably distressed versions of the type 98 that was produced in Hanwei a few years ago.

These new ones are currently available on the manifest of the manufacturer in China, according to their website.

The thread was no more than a heads up to the membership here, thirty years down the line, the next generation of collectors will encounter them.

I believe that the Royal Armouries in Leeds often includes examples of fakes in its archive, to show as a teaching example to future generations of curators.

• Like 5
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, vajo said:

What makes me nervous... they had the small screws we all search for :laughing:

Maybe a good way to get a replacement if you could convince them to sell them separately. Luckily I have a couple of spare parts that are original tucked away :)

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..