Any how to's for making sword bag's ?

Hector,

traditional sword bags are often made from old OBI or KIMONO (no plural in Japanese nouns). The material can be quite expensive if it is in good condition. High-end sword bags are padded with thicker textile like moleskin and lined with a thin, lightweight fabric. Traditionally, they are sewn by hand. I can tell that it is quite a lot of work, so I bought some ready-mades.

You will need a FUSAHIMO (woven cord) to secure the sword. 

Hi Hector,

I too need some .

I purchased one and have pulled it apart for a pattern. The cord is easily purchased and padding could be modern.I have also purchased kimino and intend to use inner material for linings. It just gets down to time and patience. 

Best of luck

I have made them in the past, but they are a bit of a fiddly thing to make. The Japanese are very clever and if there is a hard way to do something, they will find it. I reverse engineered an old bag and found that it is double lined with a thin layer of padding inside.  None of the seams are visible, even when you turn the bag inside out..!.. Basically you have to make the outer and the liner (both inside-out of course to be able to sew them) which are then sewn together on the top of the bag - at what will eventually become the opening of the bag. This is when I also attach the manufactured ring (using the same material) for the fusahiso cord. Then you have to turn one half inside out and then pull the other through it, also turning it inside out so both seams are 'inside' the bag - for want of a better explanation... It is difficult to explain and its a fiddly job. BTW, the liner should be slightly smaller (half inch all round) than the outer so the seams don't bunch or cause creases in the liner later on. Each time I make another bag, I have to sit down and basically re-teach myself the process.. My wife won't touch them..! I used modern materials and sometimes brushed-cotton for the lining of the Koshirae bags, because I could not bring myself to cut up and old Kimono. It is time consuming, but oddly rewarding. I couldn't make them for a living.

Of course you can cheat and have the seam showing/ visible inside the bag which is fine, but that is not how they are made. 

They certainly are worth trying to make though, but study an old bag first. Good luck.

Barrie.

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..