Type 95 NCO Question??

dwmc

I've had the opportunity in the past to add a Type 95 NCO sword to my collection. I recall passing up 95's even during the days they could be purchased for as low as $125.00 US or less. 

The only thing I can attribute not buying a 95 back then was a bit of a arrogant attitude in my younger years in thinking the 95 was somehow a bit inferior to 98's or 94's. Many of the Type 95's I would see were aluminum handles with paint missing , shiny, I thought, why would I want one of these machine made Shin-gunto  imposters in my collection.

I'll never forget my grandmother on occasion saying , " There's no fool like an old fool " while casually glancing in my grandfather's direction. Of course, my grandfather would ignore the allegation as though this could not possibly apply to himself. Well, I've arrived to the point where in many situations I could be classified in the old fool category. Especially when it comes to the Type 95's.

For a few years now, I've come to my senses , and thought how could any Japanese military sword enthusiast not have a least one Type 95. Recently, I stumbled on to a NCO sword and could not pass up the opportunity to purchase it. The tsuka retains est. 90 % of original paint, the saya retains est. 80 % of paint and has no dents. The blade is close to pristine  with a bit of rust and no chips. Looking at the construction of this sword I can't help but notice how well made it is. Everything fits almost perfectly, the design and craftsmanship is excellent. I honestly think the balance is actually better than some of my 98's.

I apologize about my bloviating digression from the intended topic, but wanted to compliment all the diehard Type 95 folks. I was wrong about these swords , they are truly an honest to goodness contribution to Japanese military swords.

Ok, my question to the 95 guys; The matching serial number is  80849, does this place it in the series just after the copper handle group? The tsuka is not the typical brown color normally seen, but more of a khaki green, is this a legitimate variant ? The kissaki has a yokote , is this something which was added to (some) blades?  The tsuba is approx. 11mm in thickness, does this indicate earlier manufacture?? Also, there are no serial numbers stamped on ishizuki ? Hopefully these are all proper characteristics of true Type 95 NCO sword and not a reproduction or one which has been repainted !

Thanks in advance,

Dave M.

20210213_140850 (2).jpg

20210213_140819 (2).jpg

20210213_140904 (3).jpg

• Like 2

Dave 
Your Type 95 is a very nice example. Copper handle only has around 6500, yours is not the first aluminum handle but the middle version. The color is correct, some 95 has that color on the handle. Type 95 doesn't have Ser# on the scabbard drag like Type 32.
More info about Type 95 is here

http://ohmura-study.net/790.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree with Trystan.  The Kokura stamp tells us that this was made no later than 1942.  Shamsy or Stegel could pin down the date a little tighter, but in the 1940-42 range.  The "ichi" in sakura is officially an unknown contractor, but through some great research on another thread (I'll update if I can find it) there's interesting evidence that says this is the Kobe Shoten company, who later started using the "K" in sakura stamp.  Not proven, but quite possible.

The yakote is standard for 95s.  Quite beautiful on a near pristine blade!  I like Kokura/Tokyo blades.  Their lines are more precise than the Nagoya blades.  Quite attractive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Dave,

You have a lovely example there, the serial numbers tell me it is early 1941 manufacture, and as Bruce indicated it is the later (not earlier- earlier used 'K' not '-') Kobe subcontractor who made it.

This contractor is known to have used the 'greenish' paint on the handle as well as the more commonly seen brown.

Measure the tsuba, as it should only be the 9mm variant at that stage of production. The 11mm were only for the Copper handled and the very early Aluminium until stock ran out. (a few years before yours was made)

The serial numbers for this model will only appear on the blade itself, and the scabbard throat. (whereas the drag is stamped on the type 32's instead of the throat).

From your pictures, I would consider this to be an excellent to near mint example, with a bonus original tassel... very nice find. Definitely not a Chinese copy or otherwise repainted.

Judging by today's market, i would think this one would easily go for over the $1000 mark -due to it's condition, so i hope you picked it up cheap!

And finally, yes they are reasonably Well made, i agree with Bruce and Trystan, the Tokyo Arsenal made Type 95's are  cleaner and crisper overall compared to the Nagoya and later Jinsen made swords.

Congratulations and check out the link Trystan gave you for more info on these in general.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Trystan, Bruce, and E.M.

This is all good news I was hoping to hear. I've read most of all of your post regarding the Type 95 NCO's and was glad to get your confirmation as this not being a reproduction or repaint. Maybe, a addition of the copper handle variant next...

Thank you again Gentlemen,

Dave M.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smee78 said:
  • That is a good looking addition you have there. Congrats on the new addition to your collection and to the world of Type 95 swords. Yours looks real clean, did you add the tassel or did the sword come with it?

Thank you Ron, The sword had the tassel on it when I purchased it, and felt as though it was a excellent bonus to the transaction!

Thank you also Chris, Believe me, it will remain in good care!

• Like 1

i have always dislike the attentionthe type 95 has got,  there price imho is over rated and over priced. there just a glorified type 32.

BUT HAVING SAID THAT, the example you have shown, grab it, i havnt seen a type 95 that clean ever i think, everything is crip, make the one form guntoart look s**t.

the tassel is incorrect for that model, you need the buckle tassel. there rare. but with a type 95 that clean i would be very very happy. the crisp stamps are so nice. well done. Price who cares becasue thats a keeper

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Hamish said:

i have always dislike the attentionthe type 95 has got,  there price imho is over rated and over priced. there just a glorified type 32.

BUT HAVING SAID THAT, the example you have shown, grab it, i havnt seen a type 95 that clean ever i think, everything is crip, make the one form guntoart look s**t.

the tassel is incorrect for that model, you need the buckle tassel. there rare. but with a type 95 that clean i would be very very happy. the crisp stamps are so nice. well done. Price who cares becasue thats a keeper

Appreciate the compliment Hamfish , as I mentioned previously, I almost stumbled on to the sword ( not literally ) by accident. It was in a small shop a few miles from where I live. It had different characteristics from what I was used to seeing in Type 95's, green paint color, etc.. Everything looked somewhat right, but I was apprehensive because it was almost too good. However, I decided I can't pass it up, and appreciate you guys on the NMB for confirming it's not a reproduction !

What I understood from the seller, the original owner said the tassel was the one that has always been on the sword. I'll keep a look out for the buckle type, I was curious as to whether current tassel was correct.

Hey, thanks again,

Dave M.

There's a very nice early "buckle" type leather Tassel  with 11 hrs. left on ebay right now. Offered by Pcay, currently $202.00 , considered putting a fairly high max. bid.

However, it occurred to me, it may be one of the board members, possibly one of the long time 95 enthusiast is a possible bidder, therefore , I won't bid.

If it is one of the board members, Good Luck, hopefully it won't go crazy high $$ !!

Dave M. 

14 hours ago, Hamish said:

With out photos, if its all correct i would consider increasing your budget. 

I sold mine, in good condition for $400 aussie over 5 years ago. 

Hard part is really checking the photos as there prone to damage atvthe buckle and the end of the lanyard where it passing through thr surate

This NCO tassel just sold yesterday. I actually thought it might  bring an even higher price, but as you say, you can never really tell from pictures it's true condition.

I have a feeling the one on the sword now may be for what ever reason, the one that was on it originally, but who knows, will keep a look out for future buckle type. I now see how the buckle type tassel would be the only kind to attach to handle properly...

Japanese NCO sword Tassel Portepee early model | eBay

You got a good price for yours !!

Dave M.

23 hours ago, dwmc said:

There's a very nice early "buckle" type leather Tassel  with 11 hrs. left on ebay right now. Offered by Pcay, currently $202.00 , considered putting a fairly high max. bid.

However, it occurred to me, it may be one of the board members, possibly one of the long time 95 enthusiast is a possible bidder, therefore , I won't bid.

If it is one of the board members, Good Luck, hopefully it won't go crazy high $$ !!

Dave M. 

I got that one Dave, for my Copper type 95.  Will post pictures :)

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Infinite_Wisdumb said:

I got that one Dave, for my Copper type 95.  Will post pictures :)

Excellent, I was hoping it would be a NMB member !!!

Looks great, congrats, will look forward for additional pictures !  :clap:

Dave M.

2 hours ago, dwmc said:

This NCO tassel just sold yesterday. I actually thought it might  bring an even higher price, but as you say, you can never really tell from pictures it's true condition.

I have a feeling the one on the sword now may be for what ever reason, the one that was on it originally, but who knows, will keep a look out for future buckle type. I now see how the buckle type tassel would be the only kind to attach to handle properly...

Japanese NCO sword Tassel Portepee early model | eBay

You got a good price for yours !!

Dave M.

Dave

I think your tassel is period on the sword, I saw many brass guard NCO swords with the later tassel over the years. Some maybe add on later, but some look original to the sword.
When they have both brass and iron guard NCO made at the same time, it's very possible to issue the same later version tassel for both.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Trystan ,

According to guy in possession of the sword for many years, he claimed it's the tassel which as always been on the sword. I personally had nothing more than a "gut feeling" the tassel, while not the official tassel as Hamish suggested , for what ever reason was original to sword. If you've have seen others, it's apparently not that uncommon.

Much appreciate your generous knowledge,

Dave M.

On 2/17/2021 at 3:39 AM, dwmc said:

Thanks Trystan ,

According to guy in possession of the sword for many years, he claimed it's the tassel which as always been on the sword. I personally had nothing more than a "gut feeling" the tassel, while not the official tassel as Hamish suggested , for what ever reason was original to sword. If you've have seen others, it's apparently not that uncommon.

Much appreciate your generous knowledge,

Dave M.

Dave 
Check this iron guard NCO sword(Ser# 2XXXX)with the wrong tassel as well, but opposite to yours.    :laughing:

136-1.jpg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, BANGBANGSAN said:

Dave

Look this one, wrong tassel as well.

Dave 
Check this iron guard NCO sword(Ser# 2XXXX)with the wrong tassel as well, but opposite to yours.    :laughing:

136-1.jpg

Well, there you have it Trystan, a buckle knot/tassel on a iron guard NCO. You can never know for sure as to how these things occur. I guess I'm a bit like Dave R. and am reluctant to change something if there is even the slightest possibility it is how the WWll owner intended it, even if it was not "officially correct."

I mentioned I had sort of a "gut feeling" the non-buckle tassel was original to the sword , but only because the leather looped around the sarute has the appearance of being in that position for an extremely long time. Who knows...it will remain as is for now.

Thanks again,

Dave M.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..