osoraku-zukuri -- are they all dummied up?

Hello all,

Out of shear curiosity only, I bought a mumei Wak from Kumonjo off ebay, for a whooping sum of $168 bucks. Total rust bucket, no habaki, junk saya, no tsuka.

Anyway, clean it up a bit and low and behold it is a folded steel blade, straight hamon, punched ana [not drilled], no real flaws to speak of sans the rust of course.

Uneducated guess by the  shape & patina on the nakago, 1800's, certainly not any older for sure.

Not at all worth putting another dime into it, or even taking pictures of it.......but it appears by all accounts to be a real Japanese blade, most likely mass produced, probably for conscript military use??

Anyway, thought I'd throw it out there for you folks.

Mark

• Like 1

BINGO!. I think these are overwhelmingly re-purposed sections of daito blades that have lost their potential to survive as legal, intact, "swords." They may have been damaged or  "demilitarized". This kind of work can make use of blade that would otherwise be valueless scrap iron. It also can provide work for skilled smiths who can register only 12 swords a year. I think skilled kaji could slightly increase the sori a bit, even way back on a blade. But there is no way for them to add a kaeri to the - ahhh - boshi.

Blades like this are probably easier to export than daito, and they have a rather sexy look that might appeal to naive international markets.  They may not even have to go through the whole registration process.

For all those reason I think that sword historians working in the 22nd Century will see these are one of the features of the time we are in now.

Peter

I remember that there was one on here relatively recently which had the look of a normal shinogi zukuri blade where someone had moved the yokote to enlarge the kissaki.

Can’t remember who posted the blade but it was clearly an attempt to make an osoraku blade from something less interesting. I think it’s definitely an issue. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..